Honda GXV340....the ideal engine for the eXmark Metro 26?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 21, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

2. tb8100

from TX

this thread needs more love...

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the answer to the Metro 26" power problem...I thought if it had 8hp it would be the jam. How much?

4. grouselab

grouselab LawnSite Member

How you like the Exmark metro 26" mower? are they to heavy to turn? Please let me know.... Thanks

5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be an ideal engine but it won't work on the Metro 26. I was one of the first buyers of the Metro 26 in 2005. While my dealer and I tried to work out the many problems on this unit with Exmark, I dealt with some of their design engineers who put the Metro 26 together. I told them about the lack of power from the 6 hp engine, especially when mulching. They told me that they had initially intended to put on an 8 or 9 hp engine but found that such an engine would cause the unit to weigh for too much, thus making it too difficult to manuever. So, they stuck with the 6 hp unit. What they need is a different deck design, a stronger transmission and a more powerful 8 or 9 hp engine.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

And a brake for the left and right rear wheels so that you can steer the thing with turning.

7. tb8100

from TX

Did it weigh too much to turn it manually or what? Obviously, it wouldn't weigh anything close to what a 32" or 36" or would weigh. May need to make it a belt drive. That would be cool.

8. tb8100

from TX

Yeah, after looking at the tech specs, the GXV340 weighs 40# more than the FJ180V.