honda gxv390 smoking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eeore39648, Oct 4, 2005.

1. eeore39648

eeore39648 LawnSite Member

I have the honda GXV390, on a Snapper. Has ran grreat year after year. This year it began to smoke, on ruff terrain or turning. It does not constantly smoke. Recently it slowed to a idle while mowing. I switched it off and finished with another mower. Later, I pulled the valve cover and found a broke rocker arm. I replaced both rocker arms, and reset the valves at .006 intake, and .008 exhaust. I also replaced the valve seats and valve seals. Again running perfect, except smoking more regular.
    What is causing the smoke?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you say you replaced the valve seats are you referring to the valve seat inserts ? Did you do anything to the valves themselves ?

3. eeore39648

I replaced the valve seats, they are at the base of the valve springs and the valve seals. On my parts breakdown I do not have a part number for a valve seat insert.

4. eeore39648

Also, to replace the valve seat inserts. Dont you have to pull the head off?
    I did nothing to the valves. Other t han set them after replacing the parts.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, The head must be pulled, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. In most cases when a valve job is done on a high hour engine it causes too much compression for the worn rings and begins to smoke. Since you done nothing to what we call the valve seats the smoking sounds like it may be time for a set of rings anyway.