Honda GXV620 problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Winsurfer76, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Winsurfer76

Winsurfer76 LawnSite Member

I have a GXV620 on a Hustler that is giving me problems. It started missing and popping under load. It seems the left cylinder is the problem. I've pulled the plugs and replaced them with new ones. It will run good for a while and then start sputtering again. When I pull the plug out it is sooty, but not wet. I've changed the fuel filter and air filter also. The engine has 285 hrs. on it. Could misadjusted valves cause this? They've never been checked. I don't have a shop manual, so I don't know the procedure/clearances. Any recommendations?:confused:

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I would expect the problem is a failing coil rather than a valve adj.
    If the valve lash was insufficient, I'd expect a gradual loss of power as the engine got hot.
    Adjusting the valves isn't too difficult.
    Intake .006"
    Exhaust.008"
    +/- .001"

[​IMG]
    http://hayward.arinet.com/Scripts/I...\0900.TIF&ilSC=20&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=G&ilRE=8
    Set the specific cylinder at TDC. BOTH rocker arms should have a bit of "slop".
    Insert feeler gauge between the rocker (#4) and the valve end (#7 or 8).
    There should be a SLIGHT drag.
    If adjustment must be changed, loosen or tighten the adjusting nut (20)
    Either that will change the adjustment or the pivot (5) must be turned to change the adjustment and the nut is just a simple lock nut (which means you wouldn't start by tightening it).
    I've never worked on a Honda other than the engine on my walk behind mower, so I claim some ignorance.*trucewhiteflag*

3. Winsurfer76

Bill, thanks for the reply. My thoughts are the coil too (maybe getting weak?), but I've never worked on a Honda before, only B&S.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

#20 is a locking nut, Loosen it then adjust #5 pivot ball then re-tighten #20 but this will throw the adjustment out so check after tightening.

This is where a in-line spark tester would come in handy to check for intermittent spark while the engine is running.

5. Winsurfer76

Restrorob,

I got an in-line spark tester and installed on the subject coil. When the cylinder was firing, it showed a bright spark. When it was missing, the spark tester showed no to very little spark. I also disconnected the kill wire from the coil to eliminate bad wiring. It still missed. My guess is the coil is suspect. Anything else I could try to eliminate anything else?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, Sounds like you isolated the problem, So replace the coil and let-r-rip...

7. Winsurfer76

Thanks for the help Restrorob, I purchased a new coil today and put it on. The problem is gone!!!!!