Honda harmony vs commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trulinelandscaping, Dec 30, 2004.

1. trulinelandscaping

trulinelandscaping LawnSite Member

Any feedback on these mowers. Is the price worth spending on the commercial mowers for honda or would be better to spend money on the harmony series and keep you money working for you on other items. I know the engines are different for both harmony is gcv commercial is gxv but is there a huge difference? Thanks

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

will it be your main mower? or will it be a backup to a bigger one?

3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Truline,
    The harmony will work for a back-up or a trim mower and that's all. I bought one two years ago and used it to trim mow and nothing else. After one season, averaging 20-25 yards per week, it was done. This year I bought an emark metro, it is getting similiar usage and shows ZERO signs of wear. In my opinion, you can buy 1 harmonies a year or 1 commercial mower for many years. In the long run, the commercial will easily pay for itself.

4. rodten

rodten LawnSite Member

the exmark or toro 21" mowers are by for the best :waving:

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The harmony series are meant for homeowners who mow once per week, not LCOs who mow every day.

I started with Harmonys and soon learned my lesson the hard way.

As a backup mower, just to use a few times per week, you might be okay. But the problem I had with them was the belt kept on falling off. Most of the harmony mowers (at least back when I was using them) are belt driven, not shaft driven. And sitting on a bumpy trailer seemed to make the belt fall off at least once or twice per week. And it's not easy to pull it all apart and put the belt back on. There were lots of other problems too. It was in the shop all the time. 'Course, we were mowing 15 lawns a day with it. And it's not intended for that kind of abuse.

If you are going to be doing some serious mowing (several lawns per day) with it, then you definitely need to go with the commercial mower.

You're in Vancouver? Heck, that's just a stone's throw away. I can take you to a place over near Hillsboro where I get my Honda Commercial Hydros for like $950 or $970. I guarantee you won't find them anywhere else any cheaper. I used to pay $1100 or so before I found this place. Retail price is almost $1200.

6. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

$950 or $970 Thats huge. I can't get them for under $1050 plus tax. I'm interested in taking a trip to Oregon. I wish I could remember the place in the old town of Portland. (Great Spanish Coffee) Anyway any info on this place in Hillsboro would be appreciated.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know that they sell them to just anyone for that price. I usually go in and remind them that I have bought mowers from them several times before for $950 and then they usually give me the same deal. The reason I didn't post the name of the shop is because I can't remember their name. It's a honda shop in either cornellius or forest grove. Can't remember which. But they are both very close to Hillsboro.

I'd be glad to take you there one day if you want. Just let me know.

8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a john deer mower that i use, and it works great. i have a brand new honda mower i bought from sears, top of the line model, it's ok, but woun't use as main mower. better off getting the commercial brand. i broke a wheel on the honda mower i bought and spent 40 something dollars just for the replacment part. commercial mowers are worth their weight in gold.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

After 15years Honda finally realized their HRC's were Too Heavy and Mulched Like Crap...

There's Finally a New HRC...Wait for it...Don't take deals on the Old Style...I've Seen the New Ones & they May Actually give the Toro/eXmark/Proline/Metro's a Run for the Money.

10. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. How does it work with the tax stuff between Oregon and Washington? My Fiance'/Wife has family down there. Would it be better if one of them bought it? Or shoulld I go ahead and buy it???

What are the new Hondas like that Fareway was talking about? :D