1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Honda HHT25 SLTA or Husqvarna 224L?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Nutsedge, Nov 6, 2012.

1. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Husky 223 5 years ago and use it on 25 lawns a week. I had to replace a $10 part on the pull assembly this year and runs like new. I think it is the best residential trimmer before going commercial out there.

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's all great in theory, but maybe you should ask why there are NO commercial operators using 4 strokes.

3. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

Really? No commercial operators use Stihl's 4-mix products, which is a 4-stroke engine sans the oil sump, or any of the Dolmar 4-strokes? Posts in this forum would seem to say the opposite for, at least, the former.

4. Brules

Brules LawnSite Member

They use the dog out of them....the Stihl 600 magnum blower is one of the most popular out there.

5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4 mix isn't exactly a traditional 4 stroke like the honda trimmer he is referring to and the BR600 is a blower, not a trimmer. I'll stand by what I said - virtually nobody uses a traditional 4 stroke trimmer like the Honda he is referring to.

This is his point: "Four strokes run at a lower rpm hence lower temps and the oiling system in a four stroke allows for much better lubrication."

4 mixes are more like a 2 stroke in that regard than a 4 stroke. 4 mixes use oil in the gas, not a pressure fed, sump based separate oiling system like he was referring to in the Honda.

6. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

I think you may be a bit confused or perhaps ignorant on the subject at hand here.

What would you say makes a piece of equipment a 4 stroke, that the oil-gas is mixed or that the piston has four cycles to its combustion process?

Cause from the sound of it, I think you believe the prior.

I can think of two chief reason some folks still use 2 stroke stuff. One is that they don't need to change oil and since the operators/workers in a LCO don't pay for the equipment their using they don't adhere to strict maint regimens. Two, four strokes seem to be a bit more expensive to purchase.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

The 4-mix is indeed a 4-stroke engine and full fills the first part of his statement. The oil delivery system is not relevant to that point. In terms of trimmers that use a separate oil delivery system I believe Honda and Dolmar are the main brands. Honda is relatively expensive and heavy compared to a two stroke and Dolmar suffers from a good distribution network. Perhaps there are other factors involved than the reliability or performance of 4-stroke motors in trimmers? At any point I disagree with you that the 4-mix is more like a 2T engine. Stihl's own literature points out that it is a 4-stroke motor different from the usual design in that it eliminates a sump for the oil so the engine can be run in various positions.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd stick with a 2 stroke trimmer. I have the Husky 323 which is the same as the 223 except it has a solid shaft. Very light, good power, starts easily and ready to work right away.

9. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Do you have any experenced with a 4 stroke piece of lawn equipment?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Brules

Brules LawnSite Member

Stick with 2 stroke, they are lighter and less complex, Stihl has issues with their 4 mix engines (you WILL have to have the valves adjusted over the life of any of their 4 mix equipment).