Honda HHT25S Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John deer Z, Sep 12, 2009.

1. John deer Z

John deer Z LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone on here had any experience with these 4 cycle trimmers?

I am faced with replacing a trimmer and with all the problems the 242 shindawa has given me not sure what to go with? I have looked at the styl 100 and 110 just not sure about weight and power?

Can any one help?

2. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

We run all Honda 25's at work. They have been good trimmers. A little heavy over your typical 2 stroke, and a little light on power compared to a comparable 2 stroke, but plenty to do typical weekly/biweekly trimming. They are great on fuel, a tank lasts about 2x as long as a 2 stroke. The heads Honda offers suck in my opinion, but we just replace with another style when the stockers wear out. All in all they are good and we will continue to use them.

3. John deer Z

Which head did you replace them with?

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a honda 4 stroke but it was the stronger model. it was heavy but very smooth and quiet and just like last guy said power was down.

5. John deer Z

So what trimmer do you all sugest for best weight to power ratio?

6. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

We have used the Stihl quickload (POS) and the Echo head. Want to try the Shindiawa speed feed head next.

7. John deer Z

The speed feed head is what I have on all my trimmers. Great head quick to load and smooth operation. Which styl trimmers do you operate?

8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

the best power to weight trimmer, hands down no matter what anyone tells you is a husqvarna 323 or 326 either one.. other great ones but not as light or powerful are stihl fs80r, echo 260 and you will hear all the redmax boys chirp in but power to weight they dont compete in this class..
    the drawback is the husqvarna is tougher to pull when starting. stihl fs80r starts like super super easy, echo like in between. all these trimmers like 300.00 to 330.00 to buy..
    you could go cheaper with lower echo or redmax but the lowest redmax trimmer is light but has very little power so i prefer the echo cheap one

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the Honda bigger HHT31S. The trimmer itself is ok. I would not suggest buying Honda because I have problem with Honda honoring warrante. They refuse warrante on the carb that turn out to have metal fragments inside!!!! I don't like the Honda head either.

If you want Honda 4 cycle, get the Husqvarna 324Lx. IT is lighter than Honda HHT25.

That said, I have the GX25 on my Mantis, it is easy to start, very quiet. AIt can run in all position but it can not be stored for extended amount of time with cylinder lying on the side or upside down as oil at rest will sip through the rings into the combusion chamber. The next time you start the engine, it would be harder to start and smoke for a minute after starting until the oil burn off.

10. John deer Z

The dealer I use close to me has Shindawa, Styl, Kawasaki, and Honda. Out of those choices which brand and what model seems to be the best for reliability and power and low vibration. You can leave out the 242 shind. that is not a option.