1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda HHT31SLTA review

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bavarskas, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bavarskas

bavarskas LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Honda HHT31SLTA trimmer. This trimmer has the "D" handle and solid shaft.

First please let me clarify that I am not a professional, but a homeowner who has a lot of property to maintain. I use a trimmer for 6-8 hours/week. Like professionals I want the trimmer to start and work when I need it to. I have been using an ECHO SRM2100.

The new Honda started easily (like all new trimmers should). I was a very humid day so not choke was required. Starting cord much easier to pull than the ECHO.

The Honda shaft is 3-4" longer than the ECHO that I am use to using so it felt awkward at first. As a result I was not cutting evenly because the spool was not parallel to the ground. Adjusting the handle fixed that. I did not notice the extra weight.

The engine does not rev as quickly as a two stroke (surprise, surprise) but it certainly did have more torque.
    (Note: I questioned what good torque would be on a string trimmer when I was investigating new trimmers because the string would just flex. I always thought RPM was the answer to high performance). But the Honda cut through 1/2"-5/8" blackberry vines in a fraction of the time when compared to my old ECHO. I don't know how much can be contributed "torque" or just the fact that the Honda was a new machine.

No matter what angle I held the trimmer it never bogged or quit.

The engine is quiet. Nice.

The "bump" line feed quit working do to the string being poorly wound on the spool from the factory. In 10 minutes I had it fixed and continued working.

The best feature that I like is no more mixing oil and gasoline.

With only two hours on the trimmer, I am very please with its performance.

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I sure like my 4 stroke honda trimmer and it's humming along on it's second full season now. I hope they come out with a 4 cylce BP blower soon.
  3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I know this is an old thread. I bought a discontinued HHT31S trimmer with bike handle. I love it. I am a home owner, weight don't bother me. Besides, with the shoulder harness, I trimmer for 2 hours almost non stop and it was not bad at all. The engine is very very strong. Go through everything. I don't have others top brand to compare, but is sure better than the Troy Bilt TB475. I don't find the length make it hard to trim level, I am not that tall. In fact, wearing the shoulder harness, I swing the trimmer head side to side and can see the grass fly off, it cut so good that on an incline slope where it is hard to use the mower, I mow the grass with the trimmer and have good result.

I am so happy to be able to get the 31cc with push rod rather the 35cc with belt. I am old and stubborn, I don't like timming belt!!

I wrote this because I felt more of the people laugh the Honda off because it is too heavy. The famous Shindaiwa T260 is almost as heavy and the T272 is just as heavy and the Honda HHT35S is so much more powerful. Horse power is 1.6, but the torque is going to be a lot higher.

I notice the factory wind the string funny, it dosen't work. I have to unwind the whole thing, wind it in and it work like a champ!!!
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey yungman I noticed your in Calif. from all the stuff I read and what I was just told at the Honda Update class the California Air Research Board(CARB) and the EPA will soon make your heavy Honda more popular then ever. The restrictions are going to get tougher and tougher on 2cycle to the point that soon it will all go the way of the 8track and Beta. The landscapers better start getting used to heavy 4cycles :laugh:
    Good choice you can't go wrong with Honda:drinkup:
  5. yungman

from Calif.

I bought a Shindaiwa EB3410 34cc 4 cycle hybrid blower. I am a little disappointed with the C4 hybrid. It is louder than the Honda. Harder to start, take 5 to 6 pull average to start no matter how I choke it. The Honda take only one to two max to start. The last straw was learning all the extra maintenance on decarbon and valve adjustment. Valve adjustment is usually easy and go the same with Honda, so it is a push, no big deal. The decarbon part is something else.

Honda being separate oil and gas, if all else equal, Honda don't have oil in the gas to be burnt so less deposit in the combustion chamber. Also you can spray Sea Foam periodically into the carb to decarbon. You can even spray water into the carb!!! For C4 or Stihl 4mix, gas mix go through the crankcase, I don't think is such good idea to spray Sea Foam into the carb, never mind about water. You have to either use the corrosive decarbonizer make by Stihl or take it apart to do it.

Shindaiwa is just as heavy as Honda, Stihl 4Mix are lighter. But because of the reason above, I pass. May be they will make the 2 cycle pass the new requirements, but the engine might not perform as well or last as long anymore.

Do you know Honda make 25cc hedge trimmer HHH25 and 25cc hand held blower HHB25. These are not new, they just don't import here in US. Too bad!!! I am looking for a good hedge trimmer that is quiet. I wonder why they don't import to US. They sell them in europe.:confused:
  6. MowerMedic77

This is just an issue of demand, they are not going to ship tons of units that are not going to sell at this point! I'm sure that once the new requirements pass you will see more and more of there equipment making the trip over.
  7. yungman

from Calif.

Hi MowerMedic77
    Do you have any inside info on this? I won't hold you on it!!:laugh: I am shopping for a Hedge trimmer, My Echo HC151 never work very well from day one. I can't find any quiet ones that is powerful. I am actually consider taking a chance to order overseas!!!! If what you say is true, I would wait.
    I am not in big hurry to buy one, I can wait a year.

8. MowerMedic77

No sorry no inside info and I would not wait, its more then likely going to be a few years before the strictest laws get passed. I'm sure you can find info on the links I posted, good reading if you can stay awake:laugh:
  9. joshua089

joshua089 LawnSite Member

I have a craftsman professional 4 cycle back pack blower for about 3 years now and now matter how long it sits, 1 pull and it starts right up, love it. never once had a problem with it. I have the HHT35SLTAT also for about a year now its nice to. but yes i do agree i would like to see honda make a backpack blower, and mabey a chainsaw to..