Honda HR215 Transmission Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Hannzo24, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hannzo24

Hannzo24 LawnSite Member

I have a Honda HR215 hydrostatic push mower that is having transmission problems. I can't get the shift lever to vary the speed, it only goes one speed now, which is really fast. I also can't get the wheels to turn when I pull and go backwards. I checked the fluid and the throttle cable to make sure it was working, which it is. What should be my next steps to diagnose this problem? Thanks.

2. TCam

TCam LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Hi Hannzo, I've attached some information from a service manual on the the HR215 Hydro, I'm not that familiar with the HR215 but hope the information will help. TC
    Jeremiah 29:11

Attached Files:

3. bgrandall

bgrandall LawnSite Member

My HR215SXA with hydrostatic trans just started acting up yesterday. When engaging transmission, it goes a few feet and then stops. I adjusted both the drive and gear cables to no benefit. I took off the plastic cover, the drive shaft is turning, but no power out.

Both levers have splines on them and best I can tell it looks like there is no play.

I have never even thought about changing fluid in this trans. I have two of these units, both 10 years or older. But they are fabulous machines. A new trans is more then 1/2 what I paid for the unit, would love to fix this at minimal cost.

Brian Randall
    gypsumguy@gmail.com

4. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Go look up this on youtube, there are a lot of people that have repaired that tranny for you tube. I thought about buying one for a while then i got my brand new condition 160 series for like $80 which I could not say no to.

5. robert@honda

robert@honda LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Share the serial number off the back of the mower deck with me, and I can look up and post some troubleshooting. It should look somewhat like this:

[​IMG]

FYI, the SXA was the gear-drive model. The HXA is the hydrostatic one.

-Robert@Honda
    Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.