1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda HRC Vs. JohnDeere JX85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Deca, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Deca

Deca LawnSite Member
    from Surrey

Honda has a much superior transmission, JohnD. too may moving parts that break down quikly.

John Deere replacement parts cheep but frequent.

Honda HRC 216 I bought 6 units this year never had to replace any parts yet. Average use per day 6hrs.:D :D
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I have two 21'' hondas and have had em for 4 years now with very little probs.

There an excellant mower..............glad to hear there goin good for you too:)
  3. Bitterroot

Bitterroot LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I have a JX85 and it has been down for repairs so many times. I could have replaced it for all the down time I had in it.

I have been looking to invest in some new equipment next year. I think I am going to go with the Honda this time around.

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JX85 and a JX75, neither has gone down in 2 years of use. Not even a belt. I know of 4 LCO's locally that use them and have had NO problems from them. My question is.... are you using them yourself or is your crew using them? Either way they should not go down that much. I am a maintenance freak, I adjust the belt tensions, for the transmission and clutch about twice a year. I have hrs meters on both of them for maintenance frequency. I would be curious to know exactly what has gone wrong with your Deere's so that I could look closely at mine to see if I will have the same problems.

5. Bitterroot

Bitterroot LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I use my mower myself , so damage was due to me not a crew member .

I have had to change two wheel assemblies and countless wheel bolts. I keep a box of them in the truck. The plastic piece that runs the transmission broke in pieces . Hmmm .. that reminds me to pick up another spare. Drive gears on axles several times . Drive belts several times , but thats just normal wear . I have had cable ends break off as well. The good part is the Kawasaki motor is solid as a rock.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Honda 216! Yes Nice mower. One draw back that I have found since I purchased mine earlier this year is the weight. Look at the 215 you will save a little bit in weight and money. Built like a brick turd house though. Love it. Get the mulch kit with it. Excelent even in wet grass. I waxed my underside and so far have very little grass stick to it even when wet, this is after 2 months of use. Plan on cleaning it up again and waxing before rains really hit so that I can save some time in scrapping and try to keep from hearing that god awful sound we all hate.
    Good luck in your decision.
  7. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

My HRC's don't mulch too well in wet grass, although it was SUPER wet. I'm going to try the wax...what kind do you use (ski wax???)...where can I get it.
    They are awesome mowers other than that though!
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ever try the Toro 21"? They have a heavy duty trans and, with the 2 cycle engine, require minimal maintenance.
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Blades of Steel,

What kind of hour meter did you put on yer 21" ers. I too am a maintenance finatic. Were they hard to mount? And where'd ya get it? Thanks in advance.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We have always used Commercial Hondas. Last year, due to an auto accident, we lost 2 of them at once. While we were waiting for the other person's insurance to buy us new ones, we rented two of the commercial hydro JD's. That was about 2 weeks. When we got our Hondas back, my guys were never happier! They hated the JDs. I don't know about reliability. All I know is my guys (who mow almost 100 lawns weekly) really prefer the Hondas.