Honda HRC216 startup/idling problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alpine692003, Jan 2, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

Was wondering if any of you guys can help me, if not its okay I'll take it to a dealer.. I'm not sure if this is a big fix or a minor fix?

I was fiddling around with my honda commercial 216 hydro mower the other day, I took it apart and was fiddling around with the throttle stop screw, choke screw and the rabbit/turtle screw..

Now, when I start up the mower it sounds like a f.ucken motorbike because it sounds like its reving at 8000+rpm's!!

How can I re-adjust and start this puppy back to normal?

Should I leave it in the stop position and adjust the screws? TIGHtening them or loosening them?

If I start it up it sounds like a motorbike and I go deaf cause its so loud, then I should adjust the screws? if so, which screws should I adjust?

:help: :help: :help:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm not familiar with Honda engines but it sounds like your govenor is out of adjustment and its opening it up more than it should causing it to run at a higher RPM. You will need to adjust the govenor to get it slowed back down. Like I said i've never really worked on a Honda so I can't really tell you which exact screw to adjust.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Do not run it at high rev,s, pull the airbox and make your adjustments by watching throttle position. It should only be just cracked open at idle speeds. If you can find a friend with another machine that has not been monkeyed with it might be helpful. The choke plate will be the outside one, the throttle plate the one closest to the engine.

4. alpine692003

Yah, it's the governor.. I was playing arond with it last night and well, the plate is fully wide open...

5. alpine692003

doh, now I screwed up the governor spring.. it's all loose and I just stretched the hell out of it!

Looks like I have to take it to the shop now! :angry: :angry:

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

It is hard to explain without the machine in front of both of us. Take it to your dealer, if you do business withthem they will probably do it right then and even show you.
    But if you screwed it up to much it may take a little time!