Honda HRC216HXA questions ohv vs. ohc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bladeheart, Jul 12, 2006.

1. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have looked at quite a few post before asking this so, here goes. I want a Honda HRC216HXA, however a few things are confusing me. The dealer that I went to said that the ohc engine is actually a better cutting machine ( I assume that he means more power?) than the ohv engine. This confuses me, which is actually the better made/power/ engine? I just don't understand the difference between the two engines.

As far as the Honda push mower itself, Wow! there really is a difference between the true "commercial" mower and a 400$ sears mower. (this is just my opinion, spare the flame war please.) However, the Honda mower that allows you to mulch/bag at the same time is a neat concept, I wonder if it will stand the test of time. I see a problem with the mulch/bag selection lever mechanism whenever you have dried grass underneath, but that is just my guess. I realize their is always a push mower thread/debate on this forum, but hopefully someone in the know could explain the theory or if it is just hype between ohv and ohc. Thanks in advance.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

OHV is for commercial use. OHC is residential

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have HRX216 as my personal mower on my lawn, it is a very good high end home owner model. The OHC engine is rated at at 6.5 HP, engine on the commercial hydro-5.5. The 5.5 is a tested tried and true,commercial engine,although it could stand a power upgrade in the HP department.I have no experience running the OHC commercially, but I doubt if it would hold up to the stresses of commercial mowing, or at least to rigors our 21-inch mowers are put though.

The HRX drive system is no where near as tough as the 216 commercial hydro system.As far as the mow and mulch, on my personal lawn it has held up fine.And the plastic like zenoy is very easy to clean.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Honda OHV engine has been in service for many,many years. The will last a long time.They do have a tendency to use a little oil.
    As far as the cut quality , I would think they are the same. As they both use the same deck & blade design. As for durability, you usually get what you pay for.

5. bladeheart

6'7 so what you are saying is the difference between the two is one signifies commercial (ohv) and the other home owner(ohc)? Do they make a stripe kit/roller of the honda? I noticed a 19" honda on ebay that had one built into it, quite a neat idea. Thanks for the input btw.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Firstly ..OHC means overhead cam, OHV means overhead valves. The 5.5 gxv160 would be a fully commercial engine. The gcv 190 6.5 OHC on the HRX would be a home owner, possibly light duty commercial engine.

You might have to drill a hole or two..but this web site makes 21-inch striping rollers.www.inventtek.com.

7. bladeheart

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

Ryan

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Honda also uses a GSV190 on a comm. mower. It is only a push mower, non propelled, it does have crank bearings and cast iron sleeve.

GC = no sleeve
    GS = steel sleeve

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I own 9 Hondas and I am not certain I would recommend Honda mowers at this time.

We bought our first Honda mower in 2003. It is known as the "K1" model of the HRC216HXA. Since then, we've purchased 8 others and all of them are the "K2" version. Many of the parts between the 2 models are not the same. If you have to have a part for the K1 model and if they altered the design for that part on the K2 model, that part will cost anywhere from 2 to 5 times as much as it would for the K2.

The other problem with the Honda mowers is they are constantly having self-propulsion issues. We think that replacing the transmission cable seems to be the fix most of the time, but that is a real chore. Additionally, these machines have front height adjusters that get tight because Honda didn't put a bearing in there. These parts rust together and then you have to pull the front wheels off, use a hammer to free the part, remove it completely, grease it and then put it back together. This procedure has to be repeated about 2 to 3 weeks or the next thing you know clients are requesting that you alter the cutting height and your guys don't do it and you get more complaining from the same client. Lastly, the height adjustment levers wear out and when you lift up on the chassis of the mower, the wheels stay on the ground for about the first 1/2" of play. This causes poor cut quality.

We are married to the Hondas. We have almost a $1,000 worth of blades just for these mowers (change them every day) and nearly $700 worth of parts on hand that we think will eventually fail.

I just spoke with my dealer and he says they originally produced the K0 model. Then they changed just a few parts and called it the K1 model. He says they produced the K0/K1 model for nearly 10 years. Then in very late 2004, they started producing the K2 model. With any luck, Honda will not start selling the K3 model for another 8 years or so. As long as they are manufacturing the K2, the parts are priced reasonably. As soon as they move on to the next model, parts prices are insane.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Someone earlier mentioned this. Honda has 3 grades of engine now. There is the GC, GS and GX. The GS is an upgraded GC. There are actually a few GX engines based on the GC design as well...

GC and GS are OHC

GX is OHV

The GX engine has a 2 year commercial warranty