Honda HRM215 Hydro Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by VT_Grassman, May 14, 2008.

1. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

My 21" Honda hydrostatic walk behind has developed a problem where the wheels are locked when the engine is off so that the mower can only be moved forward. It will also do this sometimes when it is running and I try to move it backward when mowing. The speed and motion of the trans is fine - no slippage, etc.
    Has anyone had any experience with this? It is a mid-90's vintage unit and the fluid in the trans has never been changed since the manual says no service is needed. (ha ha ) Is it worth taking the trans out and draining/refilling?

Thanks for any help or similar experience others can provide -
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the rear wheels then drive gear #1 and check for dirt/grass build-up in the ratchet spring #2 causing key #3 to stay engaged.

If the trans is working fine you may want to leave well enough alone.

Good Luck
  3. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for your reply.
    I couldn't be that lucky, Rob - sorry. I have had problems with those drive keys sticking in the axel keyway before so I already checked them. It definitely seems to be something in the hydro unit not releasing fully. If I start the engine, stop it and then try moving it backwards it will usually be OK. This makes me think it is likely something within the hydro unit.
    Since it has 10+ years (likely 1200+ hrs?) of use, it may just be time to retire it.:drinkup: