Honda HRX217HYA

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KrD265, Sep 27, 2012.

1. KrD265

KrD265 LawnSite Member

This mower has a problem with the rear wheels locking up. They go fine forward, but when I try to pull the mower in reverse the rear wheels are locked and won't turn freely. I have taken it to my dealer previously and they weren't very helpful, charged me $30 to "oil" them and they worked fine for about 4 days. Now I'm back to the same issue. Any thing I can do to fix this very annoying issue? Thanks for any help!

2. robert@honda

robert@honda LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Get me the serial number off the back of the mower deck (it's in the form of MXXX-1234567) and I'll look up some service materials for you.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

3. KrD265

KrD265 LawnSite Member

Thanks Robert, I'll have to get that for you when I get home. For the record, the mower is only 4, maybe 5 months old.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your issue is in the ratchet key/spring area.....

[​IMG]

Remove the rear wheel then "E" clip #17 and washer #18, Carefully slide gear #1 off the transaxle shaft. The key and spring may drop out of the shaft so have a parts pan or something under it so not to loose them.

Clean all the oil and dirt out of the shaft slot and off the gear-spring and key, Your dealer should have known better than to use oil in this area.

Get a tube of powder graphite from your local hardware store and put a little in the shaft slot then on the spring-key and on the inside of the gear, Re-assemble and you should be good to go.

Never use any lubricant that will attract sand, All it will do is cause sticking and premature wear......

5. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks AGAIN to Restorob - I have this same issue, or I did.....

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What Restrorob said, ...

But, I would add one note on procedure. Do the work on a clean, smooth surface, not in the gravel, grass, or other such place. The parts are small, and some have a spring-load to them when removed (e.g. #17). Also, the spring beneath the key is subject to "leaving the scene to places unknown."

If one of these little parts does "leave the scene," finding them on the clean, smooth surface is much easier.

... been there, done that!

7. jal2007

jal2007 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. I have tried to follow the procedure and have cleanup the gear put the graphite powder. Unfortunately, the problem still exists.
    Any ideas? your help is much appreciate it.

Note: might be the gearbox??

8. jal2007

jal2007 LawnSite Member

Found the problem myself. Unfortunately, Honda Rep didnt help me at all.

Not good Honda for your after sales customer service.

9. chillenj23

chillenj23 LawnSite Member

I have a Honda hrx and have the same problem with the wheel locking. Now it developed another problem. The right gear keeps grinding when going forward and striping. I replaced it twice now. Dealer wants $90 just to look at it . Can anyone help me out?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jal2007

jal2007 LawnSite Member

i did have the same problem with the left wheel locking up and grinding the gear. we changed the gear twice still no fix...

at the end I sold it since I'm sick with this mower without help and support the Honda Rep here as mentioned above. I did send PM twice to Honda rep without any respond. As you can see my thread here not been responded.

So why I have to support the product.