1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda HT-R3009 transaxle problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scholzee, May 9, 2006.

1. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I small Honda 30" mower that has transmission / transaxle problems, local Honda dealer does not work on them. I am very handy and will probably get a shop manual before I tear into it. I believe it is internal to the transaxle as the belt and pully are turning fine but not the wheels, sometimes it goes sometimes not and no major noise. Anyone work on one of these. Thanks for all replies.
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I cant say that I have worked on that model mower before but I have seen homeowner style riders with similar issues, You may have an internal problem but first check these two things and only because I have seen them both #1 check the axle keys that the wheel hubs are mounted to I had one that the keys were round and the axles were ate up the mower would grab sometimes and then just spin on itself. #2 Check the pulley on the engine that drives the belt for the transmission I had one that failed and made no noise but same thing most of the time would spin freely and every now and again it would grab. Maybe a couple of easy things to check before major trans surgery:cry: Hope this helps:)
  3. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Local Honda dealer won't work on their own stuff? What gives? They can ship their complicated foreign stuff over but can't fix it?
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They probably don't have a person in their shop smart enough to work on them. ;)
  5. Restrorob

We were a Dealer for these units years back, Here is a couple things I've found; There are two clutch cables on this unit, One from the clutch pedal and one from the gear shifter. They both go to the clutch pivot arm on the trans-axle, Disconnect each cable and make sure the inner cable moves freely and is not binding or hanging up causing the clutch to not fully engage.

There is a adjustment procedure for getting these cables adjusted properly but I don't have my service manual here at home. Also there is a clutch adjuster (if I remember correctly standing at the back of the unit) on the end of the case on the left hand side, It looks like a threaded stud sticking out with a slot for a screw driver with a jam nut on it. After the cables are checked you can try to adjust the clutch.

These are some well built trans-axles so I really don't believe there is a major problem inside yours. The clutch can be replaced by removing the cover on the left side without going into trans. gear and axle section of the unit.
    I would strongly suggest picking up a service manual so you will have the adjustment and clutch replacement procedures.

One other thing, If you find it difficult to find parts for your trans-axle because they are rather old units we have two mowers up in the loft at the shop with blown engines. My Boss mite make you a deal on a trans-axle.

Good Luck
  6. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks for the great advice guys !! Honda stopped making riding mowers and the local dealer started phazing out parts and stuff and no longer wants to work on them. I will try the suggestions this weekend and get a service manual. Restrorob I will keep you in mind if I nedd a transaxle, no hurry but see how much your shop would want for one, I am in Buffalo NY so shipping costs could add up. Thanks agian for the advice I knew I could count on the people here on Lawnsite.
  7. Eric2000

Eric2000 LawnSite Member

This message is for RestroRob. I need to pick your brain if I may? I couldn't send a PM because I don't have priviledges yet. I have a nice Honda HT-R3009 I picked up. The brake shoes are worn past the point of no return. I picked some up at the local dealer. I have been able to find the operator manual online but no parts schematics or service manual online. Are there any tricks to replacing the shoes?? Any advice would be appreciated. Stutzsr@optonline.net Eric
  8. Restrorob

Well Eric, There are no tricks. If you have the cover off to know the old shoes are worn out just remove the old ones and install the new ones, Put a little smear of white grease on the contact points on the shoes and spray some Fluid Film on the pivot arm shaft where it goes through the cover.

I have found no on-line PDF Honda service manuals either....

Contact Dano on this site and he will be glad to ship you a FREE sample can of Fluid Film.

Honda HTR 3009 Brake.jpg
  9. Eric2000

Eric2000 LawnSite Member

Thank you and thank you some more. I appreciate your help and especially the nice graphic you sent. I was surprised that it was as old as it is.
    Early 80's. I restore vintage VWs and do my own mechanical work across the board. I got this machine for free. Someone put the battery in backwards and blew the blade fuse. It quit so They put it to the curb. I got it replaced the fuse and varoom. Runs like a top but no brakes..thats why I came here to learn. Thanks for teaching me about this Honda. Thanks again, ..I am going to give it to my son. It is a well built machine. So far a $2.00 spark plug and 15 bucks worth of brake shoes. Not bad at all. Eric