Honda line trimmer or stihl 4 mix trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, Jul 1, 2005.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Hi I was wondering what you guys would suggest for a new guy to get. I am getting two new machines and am wondering if I should get two matching stihl 110 4 mix models one for trimming and one with hedge attachment. Or if I should get one stihl for hedges and a dedicated honda line trimmer? The honda is a real four stroke with handlebars, but on the other hand if I got two matching stihl 4 mix motors, if I ever had a mechanical problem with one I could pop the attachment on the other motor. What would you guys pick?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Having some personal experience with the Stihl, I wouldn't recommend them.
    In my experience they are under powered buzzards that require frequent maintenance when they get old.. Just the sound they make aggs me..

As for the Hondas, I've never tried one.. I'm currious to hear from some that have tried them though..

Either way, I'll never buy a 4 cycle handheld of any type until the sorry EPA rams it down my throat.. Ring Dings for me please :)

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

honda is about twice the weight of stihl, thats what it feels like anyway. i don't like the 4-mix either, they have no guts to them

4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i have a fs 110 and i out worked, cut and out ran several 2 mixes this past weekend. i was cutting thick grass that ws chest high. it had more power than anything up there. occasionaly grass would build up around the head but all weedeaters will do it when your in the thick stuff. but i noticed that the stihl wouldnt get it as much as some of the others. i love my 4 mx and would by another in a heartbeat. i dont know why some guys bash the new 4 mix units. they run great, fuel efficient and weigh the same. over all they are awesome units. and they are ten times quieter

5. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

The 4 mix has a wider power band hence plenty of guts. Check out my other posts. I have extensively discussed this topic. Personally own the Shindaiwa 2510 multitask tool. It has a few less ponies than the Stihl but makes up for it with higher RPM. It is by far the best trimmer I have ever owned. Shindaiwa, RedMax and Stihl are at the top of the heap. The 4 mix is a good technological innovation.

6. g5cutsgrass

g5cutsgrass LawnSite Member

My stihl 4 mix has lots of guts. I use it and an Echo 230 side by side on a rough hill we do once a month. The 4 mix is superior to the echo in power, torque and fuel efficiency. The 4 mix technology is old; first developed in the '40s I think as an alternative to 4 stroke engines on military aircraft. A friend of mine has a Honda; it's much heavier.

7. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a Stihl 110 last July and it stopped working "adjust the valves" in March. I was finally able to take it into the shop last week and even though they have ajusted the valves on it, they still cannot get it to crank...

Piece of junk, I loved it when it ran but hell, for $350 it better last longer than a year....

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Echo 260 it is proven 2 stroke and they put the carb adj back on. If you need torque get the 260T.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I had the same problem. I got it in the shop and they fixed it, just got it back this week and used it today for the first time this season. Alot more power to the echo backup trimmer I had

10. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have a couple of FS 110 trimmers, edgers, hedge trimmers. No problem what so ever, plenty of power and easy to start. Why should 4 stroke be less reliable? How many 2 stroke airplane engines are still around?

John