1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda Mini Tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by energy, Dec 30, 2003.

1. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Anyone tried the Honda 4 cycle mini tiller? Couple of customers are asking about dethatching work and dont want to spend a bundle on a few. Do they last? How long to till a 40' X 40' area?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

go with a mantis, life time tine warranty, probably about an hour or two for 40x40
  3. That's what I want. A Mantis, with the 4-stroke Honda engine.

4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Honda mini tiller, & love it. Its great for small areas & is so reliable that it usually starts on the 1st pull. I usually use it to prep areas to be sodded or loosening up beds.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

pardon if I sent this twice as I think our site just went down for a minute and I think I lost the reply. Bought the Mantis w/honda last summer//fabulous little machine...all kinds of uses...as mentioned, starts soooo easy...lightweight, the video that comes with it will show some of the many uses for it. Dollar for Dollar, the most efficient/productive tool I own.

Buy the stand for it (I think its only about $25). It will always be falling over if you dont...and its aggravating and the tines are sharp....ouch...did that a few times.

If you buy one, you'll kick yourself for for not buying it sooner...you can even use it for prepping plant holes for small plants...this thing will dig if you want it to. Great for spot lawn repair, mulch loosening, tilling, etc
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like mine.

equipment 005.jpg
  7. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of the Honda FG100 Mini-tillers, it is a great machine. Yes mine starts on the first pull and it has alot of power for a small tiller. It is great for bed work. I also use mine for my garden. I narrow the planting rows and use this to till in between the rows. It is nice not having to use mixed gas for it too. It is great for small areas and I am sure can be used for a multitude of uses. I don't think the Mantis tiller comes with the Honda 4, it still uses a 2 stroke doesn't it?
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I had the Honda and it was a piece of crap with in 3 months the aluminum gears went out, dealer fixed it but it took a week to get the parts and he said it would do it again becuase there still aluminum, Then the head gasket blew that was fixed and then the carb srewed up all fixed under warrenty. That parts great. But I traded it for another Mantis, makes 4 now and no trouble with any of them.

9. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are wanting to de-thatch only and don't have a dethatcher then rent one. Anywhere from $50 to $100 for a day.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine has never had any of the problems listed above. Its been very good so far. I think I got it about 2 yrs ago.