Honda motor just cuts off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Sep 3, 2004.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    The Honda 6.5 hp motor for my Vac system runs really good when it is running, but then decides to just cut off. When I pull the rope it starts right back up. It seems like this happens more often when it is hot outside or when I am using it a lot. Its got a new oil change on it and it is only 2 yrs old. There is a sticker on it that says "when oil is low, engine automatically stops". But the oil is not low, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the engine cut off switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lasher

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

sensor unit may have bit the dust

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Most Vac systems now days have a safety switch on the nozzle where the pick up hose goes so it will not run without the hose hooked up and safety switches on the out put nozzle as well. If one if these is acting up you will have problems. Honda engines use a "one shot kill" system. On most engine you can ground it out and if you un-ground it before it stops turning it will restart by its self. No so on Honda engines. Once they get the ground single even for a split second they have to come to a full stop before you can restart them again. This makes bad safety switches and low oil switches even more of a problem when they start acting up.