Honda motor on compactor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BRICKGUY, Mar 27, 2008.

1. BRICKGUY

BRICKGUY LawnSite Member

Hi i just bought a plate compactor somtimes it backfires and runs erratic by that i mean it the rpms go up and down wont run at constant rpms. will run better when chocked a little bit this is a new item help!!Took back to dealer and said there was nothing wrong??

2. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Sounds like you have a problem. Was it new out of the box or has it been sitting with fuel in it waiting for it to be sold. It would take it back.

j19lm

3. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Who makes the tamp? What Honda engine series? GX200, or GS etc. Is this a brand new, out of the box unit, or "new used."

This type of erratic behavior (hunting and surging) is caused by one of two problems, Fuel delivery, or the governor. This reads as if your engine is running lean or possibly to fast, that is, TNLS could be a little to much for the carb to keep up with. Carburetors placed on units today are under strict emission standards, and it's not to unusual for this to happen until the unit breaks in, but this also depend on several other factors.

4. BRICKGUY

BRICKGUY LawnSite Member

it is a chinese model that had been sitting on the shelf for a while but i had used it for a few months before this started happening??

5. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

I'm assuming you mean a "clone" Honda engine? Regardless, if it has been sitting up for a couple of months, start by dumping the fuel (if you have'nt already) in the tank and the carburetor bowl as well. Replace with FRESH fuel (something very recent. like this week, not from the large gas can that's been in the corner for 6-months) and try to run it again.:walking: I'm sure there has been a thread about fuel on this forum, but I'm not looking. "Designer fuel" that's at the pump today is crap, unless you stabilizer it, fuel at the pump has a shelf life of approximately 30 days, give or take. One more thing that you can check is the throttle return spring. That is the small gage wire spring, wrapped around the throttle linkage. If it's damaged and or missing, you may also experience the hunting problem.:waving:

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you go to drain the float bowl remove the center screw and drop the bowl off, Spray some carb & choke cleaner through the center of the carb where this screw came out then re-assemble.

Could have picked up a piece of thrash in the main jet causing a leaner run/hunt.