Honda motors/2 oil holes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RLW, Oct 15, 2006.

1. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

I recently purchased used, a thatcher & aerator. Both have hondas.Ones a 5.5 hp the other is a 4 hp. What are the 2 oil fill holes for? One plug has a dipstick the other does not.Any ideas how much oil they hold? :usflag:

2. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Honda engine website:
    http://honda-engines.com/index.htm

Sure hope you know a good mechanic in town, what will you do if you ever have to figure out a difficult problem??

John

3. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

it is just there if you have to mount the motor that one of the fill holes acess is blocked

4. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

I guess I would call upon the almighty John!! I can tell your**** don't stink

5. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

I was told there is no stupid question, I see the complete opposite for the answer though. Thanks for the no nonsense answer gammon. Wasn't sure if there was a gear box or something.

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

your welcome, i get really sick of all the smart azzed answers here too.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

You tell him buddy!!:drinkup:

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You said Aerator...That may be a gear reduction engine. In that case the gearbox on the side of the engine has its own oil cavity. On the 6:1 gear reductions you just get the engine level and then open the plug in the top and the plug on the side. Dump oil in the top till it comes out the side plug and then close them up.

9. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

The aerator does have the gear reduction. Does it take regular engine oil in the reduction box?

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, Regular 30W engine oil is just fine in most gear reduction boxes.