1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda Motors

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Harvestman, May 1, 2002.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Hey Guys any plans on using honda motors in the future?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I hope not. Honda motors in the smaller horsepowers are great. They just have to many issues in the larger ones. This comes from experience.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We have looked at a few Honda engines, the biggest problem in the past is pricing. When an engine manufacture also produces turf equipment they are not very price effective.

We would finish any and all testing on an engine before we would release it for production. I know many people like the Honda engines we would have to see how it all pans out.

Thanks, Fred.
  4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Please don't put Honda motors in Exmarks. I'm with Hoss on the motor probs. Finding dealers that sell Honda parts is hard to come buy and they seem to be more expensive than kohler and kaw.

Just my opinion but I hope one more for the "NO Honda motors" side needed to be voiced.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Because of the longevity of an eXmark, we have replaced some engines on our eXmarks. (aroud the 2500 hour mark)

We chose Honda (because they're better, right?)
    That has not been our experience. We've had a higher % uptime and lower maintenance costs with Kohler engines.

I think the 4-13hp OHV horizontal shaft Hondas are unbeatable. The others (all vertical shaft and twin cylinders) are on a par with Kawasaki and Kohler.