honda mower not starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ein999, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ein999

ein999 LawnSite Member

If i spray starting fluid it starts. Even then i have to let it run a little bit to keep it going. Without starter fluid and the air filter off it does not start.

I will post pictures if need to.

i tried cleaning the carb and havent tried to start it again.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. ein999

ein999 LawnSite Member

actually i did try to start it once and took it apart again. to be correct. i did clean the carb. ill post again.

4. ein999

ein999 LawnSite Member

throttle valve is constantly open. i cant get it to close no matter what i do to the throttle cable. is the throttle valve controled through the engine with linkage? is there supposed to be a spring dircetly on the throttle vavle on directly on the carb itself.

im ready to get a new carb and gasket Kit,new springs and repair it that way.
    it does not even start with wd40 being sprayed into the carb. spark also looks king of weak. I hope i am not making more problems for myself.

Have a wonderful day!

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Your day may have been better had you posted model numbers off this engine so I could see what your working on, But I guess your headed in the right direction ?

The throttle valve will stay open until the engine fires up and the governor pulls it back to the position you have the cable set at.

Good Luck

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If the throttle valve won't move easily with your fingers, either it was sitting so long with fuel in it that cleaning it won't matter, or it's rusted (from water).

Get a new carburetor (the whole thing).