Honda Mower Trouble

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TyWebb, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. TyWebb

    TyWebb LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    I've really enjoyed my new Honda mower, however recently my friend and I sharpened the blades and now its doing the most peculiar thing. Every other row I'm leaving a "mohawk" trail that the blade just seems to be missing. I took the blades off and had them checked at a local shop and they said they were sharp and balanced. Has anyone else had this problem. These are the quadracut blades.
     
  2. Catcher

    Catcher LawnSite Member
    Posts: 166

    Not familiar with Honda mowers or quadracut blades, since you refer to the blades in plural I am assuming you have more than one blade. If this is the case, it would appear that one side cuts slightly higher than the other - giving you the 'mohawk' effect.
    Check to make sure the deck is level.
    Check to see if there are any washers between the blades and spindle-mounts. Perhaps one side has a different size or amout of washers than the other side.
    I would give everything a good looking over to see where the difference in height comes from.
    Wish I could be more specific, but as I mentioned - I am not familiar with this set-up.
    Good luck.
     
  3. saw man

    saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah
    Posts: 1,021

    Which Honda mower do you have?
     
  4. TyWebb

    TyWebb LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    I have the Harmony II.
     
  5. redbull

    redbull LawnSite Member
    Posts: 182

    Make sure blades are not bent - I have owned a Honda rider before - Engine was great (13 h Lig cooled) but the deck was crap. make sure deck is not bent - that was a problem with mine, deck would bend if you looked at it hard
     
  6. TyWebb

    TyWebb LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    Actually, I figured it out last night. Turns out with these "mulching" double blades if you don't cut the grass often enough it has a hard time doing an "even" job. I decided to try mowing a couple times a week and that seems to have corrected the problem.
     

Share This Page