Honda Mulching Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by awood0909, Jul 4, 2014.

1. awood0909

awood0909 LawnSite Member

Anyone here have problems with honda 21" not being able to mulch well when grass has any growth? Grass builds up under the deck and will not discharge. Any tips other than bagging everything?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've mulched 16" tall grass. The taller the grass, the harder it is to mulch when it is wet.
    Are your blades sharp? What is your deck height? If too high, you don't get enough vacuum to mulch or bag very well.

3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

My push model honda 21 mulches well even with the single blade. I expect that the condition of the grass is different than what I have been mulching. Are you sure that is dry enough?

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you mulching or side discharging? Your making 2 different statements
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You likely have a high-lift blade that's caking grass up on the deck. Get a mulching blade and it should be fine.

6. Not being rude, operator error and not equipment.....meaning not knowing the capabilities of his machine. That's all.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

What are you talking about?

Even before they had mulching mowers. Grass has and always will have grass stick to the underside of the deck whether mulching or discharging.

As grass grows taller it makes it hard on the mower to mulch.

Your mower appears to act as any other mower.

8. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I have to clean mine every week. sometimes twice a week if the grass is too wet. I tried the deck spray and don't think it helped.

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I hose the underside of my decks everyday. When there is slow growth. Grass no longer lush green as in the spring. If I am pressed for time I may skip a day. Specially when I will only have one lawn to do the next day. Then after that one lawn I will clean the deck.