1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda Not Getting Gas

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by homemower, Jun 30, 2006.

1. homemower

homemower LawnSite Member
    from Ray,Mi

Has anyone having trouble with 20 hp Hondas not sucking enough gas to run without the choke on? I had this to the dealer a couple of mos. ago and they said it was the pintle valve in the bottom of the carb. it had a peice of plastic in it. Well everything ran good untill now and I am right back where I started. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would sure be interested in solving it once and for all.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The dealer was most likely talking about the main jet being plugged.
    I would check your fuel filter and carb vent hose also, if the vent hose if plugged the unit will not run right.

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

PJ is correct, replace the fuel filter and check the vent tube. Also, It is possible that the carburetor has accumulated varnish from storage over the winter.

You mentioned a dealer inspected the unit a few months ago, has this been a problem all spring? If the condition persists, I recommend you take the unit to a Honda engine dealer to get the carburetor throughly cleaned.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor
    Kansas and Missouri
  4. homemower

homemower LawnSite Member
    from Ray,Mi

Sorry for the delay in replying. The mower was at the dealer all winter,[not there fault] things just workred out that way, Again they said there was plastic in the pinto valve replaced plugs, new filter, adjusted rpm to 3600
    only has 30 more hrs since then air cleaner was fine. I will replace gas filter and ck inside for any debrei. If this doesn't solve this problem where in the north Detroit area would there be a Honda reg. dealer?
  5. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

I'm no expert by any means, but I had experienced a similar problem of the engine cutting out and dying from not getting enough gas with a non commercial Honda tractor a few years back. After lots of trial and error here's what I found.

I always tightened the gas cap so much that it created a vacuum and didn't allow the gas to naturally flow to the carb. I loosened the cap by less than a quarter turn and it always ran fine. Don't know if this applies to our Hustlers?