Honda OHC Engine Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DieselDeere, Oct 2, 2003.

?

How many hours?

1. 200-300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 300-400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 500-600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 600-700

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 700+

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How many hours can I expect out of a Honda OHC 4.5HP engine? Any info is appreciated!

2. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

To many variables, up keep, what you are using it on, how often you use it, how hard you run it. honda has always led me down the right path in the past though.

3. DieselDeere

from Midwest

How would the frequency of use effect it's life expectancy?

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Honda says this engine will last 750 - 1000 hours before it needs new rings.

5. DieselDeere

from Midwest

Are you sure that is for the OHC engine?

6. saw man

from utah

yes i have been to Honda Mechanic schools and that is what they told me. The rings are a little soft, to seat in quicker. The cylinder is chromed, just like some trimmers and chainsaws. They have said that the rings will wear out, and if you replace (the rings) your good to go again. ( depending on how the engine was taken care of, wear, etc.)

The OHV engine they are saying a minimum of 2000 and have been some that went over 10,000.
    But you need to take care of it if you want any engine to last.

7. NCSERVICE

what i am saying is if you use a engine all day every day the wear and tear might be more than if you use it once a week.

8. DieselDeere

from Midwest

True, because any engine that is used more often will have more hours, and more wear and tear, which leads to my original question, how many hours will a Honda OHC engine last?

9. NCSERVICE

In the same token a unit that is not used as often probably wont have the wear and tear and will last for more hours of use.
    I believe saw man gave you a figure if thats what your looking for.

10. saw man

from utah

An engine that is not used often will have more wear and tear than one used every day. This also applies to cars - most of the wear occurs on startup, if you drive the car for extended periods of time you will have less wear. This wear occurs because the oil has time to flow down and not provide the lubrication your engine needs upon startup. Using the machine more often will lessen this effect. This is why synthetic oils can be better than your regular dino oil.