Honda oil filler tube leak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by phale50, Feb 24, 2006.

1. phale50

phale50 LawnSite Member

I purchased a Honda 18/42" Fastrak last fall and I love it. Recently after use and while stored I have noticed engine oil accumulating on the outside of the engine below the filler tube and dripping (not much); it is coming from the interface between the plastic oil filler tube and the engine block. The tube is attached tightly to the side of the engine by a screw and bracket, but I can wiggle it slightly at the base. Am I perhaps missing a gasket or o-ring in the assembly? I don't appear to be losing oil at an alarming rate but it is messy and I am certain this should not be occurring. Any experience or ideas would be appreciated.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There may be a o-ring or gasket problem.
    Talk to your dealer and let him know what is going on, I am sure they will take care of it for you.

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

There is an o-ring at the base of the dipstick tube. It may be missing, pinched or not properly aligned on the tube assy.

If you remove the bolt that holds the tube to the block (use a 10mm socket and keep an eye on the spacer) you will be able to remove the tube and inspect the o-ring. If it is an alignment problem you will be able to install the o-ring correctly and reassemble the tube.

Otherwise you will need to get the unit to you Excel dealer or a Honda Engine service dealer for inspection.

FYI: the Honda part number for the o-ring is: 91301-ZE9-003.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Enigne Distributor: Kansas and Missouri
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine leaks in the same place. Super Z 24hp honda. I replaced the O ring twice I give up.:dizzy:
  5. phale50

phale50 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the good advice. I'll check out the assembly and let you know what I find.
    This forum is one of the many great things about Hustler that helped convince me to buy.
  6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats what it so great about this forum!
    People helping others.

7. phale50

phale50 LawnSite Member

Well, I removed the oil filler tube and checked out the o-ring situation. It was present, not pinched, and properly aligned. It (the o-ring) seemed a bit loose and so now I wonder if the proper size was installed. I will contact my dealer now and try a replacement. Thanks again,