1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda or Kawasaki on 21"Toro Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cvlm, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Hey guys need your advise i will be buying a buying a toro 21" proline next week should i get it with the honda or the Kawasaki motor and why? also blade break bbc or not and why? thanks for any advise you can give me.
  2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

might want to search this forum on the topic, no problems with the toro's for us..
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive always had the smaller (5.5 hp) on my 21"ers and i love them. Never used a smaller kawi, ive got a 15hp kawi on my eXmark as well, i don't know how the smaller kawis compare to the bigger ones. Either one would be a good choice IMO
  4. His Scapes

His Scapes LawnSite Member

I have a 21 exmark with a kawasaki and the blade break and I love it.I have had really good luck with kawasaki over the years and for me it helps b/c it takes the same oil filter as my scag walk behind-Lesco walk behind- And my toro z- master
  5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Honda commercial 21" (obviously with a Honda engine) and a Proline 21" with the Kawasaki engine, both are fine mowers and engines. I bought a John Deere commercial 21" about 4 years ago that has a Kawasaki on it. Sold it to a friend last year and it's still going strong, starts first pull everytime. Both Kawasaki engines have pressurized lubrication (filters). I've been very happy with the Kawasaki engine.
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Toro's one with a Suzuki two-cycle and the other has a 5.5 Kawasaki. The Suzuki is 3 years old and the kawasaki is on its 8th year. I would get the Kawasaki because they have a 1 gal fuel tank on the new ones (mine doesn't) and it has a 6.5 where the Honda is a 5.5. I don't have any experience with BBC but it would be nice when bagging to be able to leave the mower running to empty the bag. It you do not bag it will probably not be that big of a deal. Is the mower you are looking a one of the redesigned mowers (Hi-Vac bagger). Check out Toro's site if you don't know they have both.

Hi-Vac http://toro.com/professional/lce/whats_new/index.htm

Old model http://toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/index.html
  7. His Scapes

His Scapes LawnSite Member

I totally agree with you on the BBC. It is really nice when you are bagging a lawn. Also nice at the end of a 12 hour day in the 98 degree heat when you can't even push it up on your trailer anymore.
  8. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys For The Advise I Always Wondered Why Someone Would Not Want The Blade Brake (bbc) But You Guys Have Answered My Question . If Your Mulching No Reason Really To Need To Let Go Of The Handel I Know Tj At Justmowing Is Using The One Without The Bbc But I Believe He Is Mulching Everything I Could Be Wrong .i Don't Have That Option Right Now 95% Of My Accts Are Newer Homes With Tall Fescue They Want It Picked Up. They All Have A Green Waste Can At There Residence To Dump The Grass Into So I Don't Have To Take It With Me. Most Of My Customers Where Told By Someone That If You Mulch It Will Build Up Thatch And Then You Could Have Some Fungus Problems Later This Tall Fescue Is So Temperamental Any Vets Out There That Can Help Me With This Is It True Or Can You Mulch Tall Fescue.
  9. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Either engine will probably out last the rest of the mower.

MOZE4MUNY LawnSite Member
    from NW Fla

CVLM, all the mowers pictured loaded on JUSTMOWING trucks (website) have bags installed. Maybe their not mulching everything?