Honda or Kawi repower for Walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobby, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody repowered a Walker with a Honda,Kawi or Robin?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't, but have some tips. Some engines have the same bolt pattern as others. If not, just drill new holes in the mounting plate. You will probably need a new wiring harness and make sure it has the same size output shaft if you want to use the same pulleys. From what I've been told, you can replace a 25 HP Kohler on a DC with a 20 HP Yanmar verticle shaft engine and it will bolt up to the same holes, so they must use a fairly close bolt pattern in engines. I realize this don't help you, but it is just showing you that even a gas to diesel swap is possible without much problems. The new Honda 24 HP is a sweet sounding engine. Good luck.
  3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Where can i get info on the 24 hp honda. I went to their website and I did not find anything there. I like honda engines my civic got 215k miles and started and ran like 50k. I dont know about small engines but they make great car motors.
  4. Eric ELM

I would think any dealer that sells mowers that use them should be able to get one. Dixie Chopper unvealed their machine with it on it at Louisville. I'm sure other companies have them too.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm curious what a new Honda 24 hp. engine will cost. It's got to be way up there $$$! Let us know.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Either way you go i don't think you'll have to worry about blowing any more head gaskets lol... make sure when you do this that which ever engine you swap... you want the air flow deflector around the engine you may have to modify the ones of the kolhor.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our new 26EFI Kohlers in our Walkers are awsome more like 30hp Keep the Kohler and get a replacement 25hp we have those with a ton of hours on each of them run great.
  8. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

About the Honda 24 horse engine:

I demoed a Kanga Loader a while back. It had a 20 horse Honda. However, the guy had a Kanga w/ a 24 horse Honda on the trailer. I mentioned that I didn't recall Honda making a 24 horse. He then remined me that the Kanga is built in Australia, and that a 24 horse is available in Australia. Said that they would be available here shortly (apparently they were recently introduced in Australia and then will be introduced here).

Ditto on the Honda engine being great engines. You just can't go wrong w/ either a Hinda or a Kawi.

9. Eric ELM

Eskals, the Honda 24 is here now. :) Dixie Chopper has them.
  10. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Yea, the Kanga demo was a few months ago. Its good to see that the Hondas made it the distance :D