1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Honda or Kohler engine?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kybuck, Oct 28, 2002.

1. kybuck

kybuck LawnSite Member
    from ky.

I'm glad I found this site i've found out a lot from reading the posts. I'm looking at two ztr mowers they are both 18hp twin cylinders but one has a honda motor and the other has a kohler. I was wondering if one of these motors is far better than the other or are they comparable? Which would cost more to service parts wise? :confused:

2. Birdman

Birdman LawnSite Member
    from 6

Honda period.

3. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I will go along with that Honda is better in my opinion.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Honda makes a great engine if you stay below about 10 HP. Honda engines larger than that are not worth a darn from my experience. They are troublesome, expensive to get fixed, and parts are expensive and often hard to find. For twin cyl. engines, go with Kohler or Kawasaki.:)

5. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I have used the big honda stay away from them! The kohler is much better also I agree with the kawasaki comment it is good and I have also been useing some robin engines very good as well!

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Smaller Honda, Larger Kohler.

Scott

7. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

good info never have used a Honda above 10 H.P. Now I know to stay away from them!

8. kybuck

kybuck LawnSite Member
    from ky.

Thanks guys for the info guess I'll be going with the Kohler:D

9. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, go with Honda if its a small engine, single cylinder. If not that, go with Kawasaki, if you cant get that, special order the darn thing. My two Kohlers I have had both sucked, I hated them.

:cool:

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Larger honda motors are major headaches. Get kawi or kohler for large motors.