honda or stihl brushcutter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by vaskeet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. vaskeet

vaskeet LawnSite Senior Member

looking for a handlebar type brush cutter/trimmer and trying to decide between the Honda HHT35SLTA at $399 Stihl fs110 for $400 or the Stihl fs130 at $430 I am a homeowner cutting miles of ditch banks and electric fence. Thanks

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honda is much better to be honest.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

FS 560 should do if you have that much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. vaskeet

I don't want to spend that much trying to stay around 450 otd

5. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

May I suggest another for consideration? The dolmar ms.245.4.u is a fantastic trimmer and brush cutter. It has loads of power, has a very low nvh, and apps the fuel. Moreover, unlike the Honda, it's very light, and unlike the stihl, you won't need to visit the dealer regularly to keep it running. Also, no mixing gas and oil. I have the version of this trimmer with the loop handle, and even in this form it's a very nice trimmer to use all day with a harness.

Oh, and is only about $300

6. vaskeet

I will check it out. I did a search and found a dealer only 35.4 miles away and where I live that is almost next door

7. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had a problem with Honda products.

When it comes to Stihl, I have learned to "JUST SAY NO".

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

exactly. well said. :D

9. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

Just to be clear, I'm not implying the Honda trimmers are junk. I'm sure they are great. The dealers in my area don't sell/deal with them on a regular basis, and I already know how dolmars are built, add in the lighter weight and lower price, and it was a no Brainer for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Sound like you're a rancher in which case I would suggest a Stihl FS130 or Shindaiwa C344 if you want a 4-stroke and a Stihl FS240 if you like 2-strokes.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 4-MIX but given the others are quite heavy I would probably take the FS130 (bike handle) with a full harness (Stihl makes a good one), Autocut 25-2 tap-head and .105 pentagon line.

I would not use a little 24 cc 4-stroke motor to mow miles of weeds near a cattle fence as it would likely overheat. I wouldn't try working several hours straight with a loop handle trimmer as your wrists will go numb. 4-strokes usually don't make sense but putting up with the 2-stroke noise and fumes for this long isn't nice.