Honda Or Stihl?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was looking at 2 trimmers. Either the Stihl FS80 31.4 cc 4 mix or the Honda 31.0 cc 4 cycle (no oil mixture) Which would you choose? I never considered Honda but when they come to engines they are pretty damn good. What would be your choice?

2. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

All I can say is that the honda engine on my pressure washer is awesome.I have had it 3 years now and it is as good as ever.I did look at the honda trimmers though and they seemed kinda heavy.As for Stihl everyone knows they are hard to beat!

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The fs80 is a 25cc motor not a 31cc.

I'm a Stihl person, honda used to beat the competition but I don't think they are any better than their competition any more.
    The other companies have done their homework.
    JMO.

4. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

I think you mean the Stihl FS 110. I own 2. They are great! The power is amazing compared to your average 2 cycle. My only complaint is that they eat through line fast when you use the trimmer to edge sidewalks and curbs.

5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I like some things better about the Honda over the Sthil; i.e., no oil to mix, a lot better fuel economy, its longer allowing me to reach under bushes and whatnot, no where near as loud and in my opinion it does trim a bit better.

The Stihl on the other hand is lighter, has a better trimmer head (the Hondas head will for some reason unlock and throw the spool and everthing out if you get in some heavy grass/weeds), and it does a better job edging.

I do like the feel of the new 25cc honda as it is lighter (2 lbs less than the umk 431) but I haven't used one of those yet.

6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the pleasure of running both and I like the Hondas better. I have two Hondas a 31 and an old umk24 I think it is. They are heavier and I wouldn't own anything else, quiet and use half the fuel and no stinky exhaust. I also own a Red Max and the only reason I have it is because I wanted an Edgit ! They don't make an Edgit for the Hondas because Honda won't give them a gear head to fit one to it. Go Honda. They are heavier but I got used to it quick, I think they are better overall.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I've run both, but would take the stihl as my choice, as I've had problems starting the Honda, and the dealer never was able to fix the problem. That dealer has both, so traded it for a fs80 which I love.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think it will be difficult when the engine starts using oil to keep from letting it run dry. Go get a Echo 260 demo....

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently bought a Honda unit and it seems to lack the power of my 260 Shins have. I do like how quiet it is though (almost dont need hearing protection)

10. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

check out the stihl fs110 trimmer it kills the Honda