1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

honda self propell

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlc31, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jlc31

jlc31 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have had two honda mowers in the last 3 years i dont cut that much grass with them to replace them this often it is allways the self propell that goes out on them and they are not very lite mowers especially when pushing them up hill. what can i do to fix my problems.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Have them repaired. Warranty?
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these commercial units?
    What model numbers?
  4. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

If it is the HRC 216, have you tried adjusting the cable? have you checked the hydrostatic fluid level? How about the axle pins or the drive cog inside the rear wheels? The only thing I have really seen go wrong internally on one is if one or more of the pins on the pimp gets stuck. there are a total of 14 pins on 2 round cylinders and the pins cost about 2-3 bucks apiece. If one gets stuck, sometimes you can try cleaning it up on a wire wheel and reinstalling it. All in all it's not that hard but if you haven't used it a whole lot they shouldn't be wearing out that fast.
  5. Honda Jesus

Honda Jesus LawnSite Member

HR215HXA or HRC216HXA after the first 2 years of production have never really had a Hydro problem. The only problems in the early units were a check valve ball and spring. Still happens rarely, but it will stretch the Self Propel Cable (Honda calls it the Change Cable) because you are actuating that tiny cable against lots of pressure. Has happen twice to me, both with commercial customers. $5 in parts and about 2 hours labor to correct problem (if that is what the problem is). Good Luck
  6. SER

SER LawnSite Member

I have a Honda self propelled mower. I picked it up for free from a guy who said it did not work. The engine started fine, but when you tried to engage the clutch the blade would not turn or turn very slow. I replaced the clutch, and it works fine. Unfortunately you have to engage the clutch to start the engine. If you dont it feels like there is too much drag or pull from the rope. I was told that I need to adjust the spring, but am not sure what spring or where it is. I have the technicians manual, but it only has exploded views and is not to handy on troubleshooting.
    Any help I could get would be appreciated. It is a good machine and works fine except for this feature. Any help would be appreciated.
    S.E.R. :)
  7. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

Adjust the cable that runs from the bottom of the engine up to the handle that engages the blades.
  8. marcp

marcp LawnSite Member

I was told that I need to adjust the spring, but am not sure what spring or where it is.

Well, I found the spring okay. Now I wish I hadn't. It's deep under the pull rope assembly. I was having trouble with the pull rope not retracting, took the housing off, still not working too good, took off the center bolt and unleashed the spring, and now I don't have a clue how to repack it. Anyone know of any directions on how to reassemble this thing ?