Honda Self propelled mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2001john, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 2001john

2001john LawnSite Member

Hi ,
    Can anyone help with this prob . I've got a Honda Hru 215 self propelled mower that won't drive under load of half of catcher of grass .But runs fine when the bag is empty . I've adjusted all cables still no good.
    cheers John

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

What do you mean?

Will the drive not work, engine bogs down?

Also get the model #, is this a hydro, 2, 3 speed? I dont think they made a HRU. HR, HRA they did.

3. 2001john

2001john LawnSite Member

Hi Saw Man,
    Yes Honda do make the HRU s/pelled range of mowers starting with Hru 213 up to the new model Hru 216 3 speed gear box drive . The prob is it won't continue to drive with the weight of a half full catcher .
    Cheers John.

4. 2001john

2001john LawnSite Member

Hi There,
    I pickup a Ryobi Trimmer today it runs well but has a real bounce at TDC when the starter cord is pulled. What can cause this to happen & how can it be fixed if at all .

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was given a Honda HRR 216 that the self propelled feature is shot on. It runs fine, but just won't pull, and is a bear to push.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

They do not sell the HRU in the states. The mower looks different than anything we have here. Sorry but Im of no help.

7. Nick911Racing

Nick911Racing LawnSite Member

Ive got a Honda Harmony self-propelled mower at home and have had all kinds of problems with the drive train. The self-propel feature frequently doesnt work. Its about five years old and every two years it needs a new gearbox. About every month I need to take the drive wheels off and lube the ratcheting mechanism. I for one will never buy anything else from Honda as this machine has proven to be a piece of junk.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you get yours to pull again? I have checked the linkages and they are fine, even checked the axle underneath. It's a Dana unit. How much is an axle??

9. Nick911Racing

Nick911Racing LawnSite Member

Two of the times the dealer just replaced the transaxle. I cant remeber how much that costed. This last time I had trouble with it I tightened the linkage so that it engaged "farther in", it has seemed to help. Does yours sound like gears grinding when you try to engage the self-propel?

10. 2001john

2001john LawnSite Member

Hi Nick,
    Yes these do make a grinding noise when the gear box is on it way out . But try adjusting the clutch cable arm on the bottom of gear box by moving it back a little. Sometimes this will fix it . You buy the bevel & pinion Gears to replace them . And here is what we do in Aust to get speed out of these . Honda makes a speed up kit which you can put into the same gear box . These cost us here about $ 80.00 cheaper the a new gear box .

John