Honda Stalling with Air Cleaner Pad

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Royser, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Royser

Royser LawnSite Member

I had to replace my Honda engine, gjab-6566498, on my Harmony mower, HRM215. I got a great used engine and put it on. It runs fine as long as I don't put the pad in the air cleaner. As soon as I put it in the engine starts stalling and faultering. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Rick

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

It is too dirty or it is oil soaked.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I have also seen these with cam/valve problems that would not run with an air filter.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Remove the OHV cover and rotate the engine over with spark plug lead UNPLUGGED. Check and see if the valves have enough lift on them.

5. Royser

Royser LawnSite Member

I'll check the clearance. The pad was clean so dirty and oil soked isn't the problem. Wish it was that simple. :)

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You dont need to check the clearance but you need to check the amount of movement on the rocker arms, up and down. What you are looking for is are the valves moving enough to allow plenty of airflow.

7. Royser

Royser LawnSite Member

I checked the valves and they seem to be operating fine. Any other ideas?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Look on the engine block for the word Honda stamped in it, Just below will be 2 or 3 letters followed by 3 numbers. That will be the engine model number, post it so I can see which model it is.

9. Royser

Royser LawnSite Member

It's a GXV140-135.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You problem sounds like the carb. is running too rich by the time you install the air filter pre-cleaner. There are 6 different main jets listed for that carb., That engine could be set up to run at a different altitude and now it's running rich where you are. If you remove the float bowl and carefully remove the main jet there will be a size number stamped in it. Post that number and possibly I can suggest a smaller jet to try.