1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda String Trimmers & Mini-Tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 10, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Honda 4 cycle trimmers and the Honda FG100 Mini-Tiller. I am currently using a Stihl FS85 trimmer but would like to change to the Honda because of its greater fuel efficiency. However, I am concerned about the extra weight. The Honda mini-tiller really interests me because of its small size and dethatcher attachment. Do those items work well and is that piece of equipment any better than a Mantis? Thanks for the help.
  2. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using a dealer demo string trimmer for 2 month's now, no problems. The extra weight is not that big of a deal unless you string trim for hours on end. Bottom line is; It's a Honda... enough said.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it is not a Honda mini-tiller, but I just bought the ECHO mini-tiller Friday and the thing kicks butt. It doesn't look like it would, because the tines are relatively thin, but thet are strong. It works awesome for maneuvering around in landscape beds. It was $350 and worth every penny.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Mantis is the way to go for a mini tiller! Extremly light and really rips through the soil! I just bought one this year and wander how i loved without it for so long!
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the mantis and echo are pretty much the same. echo makes them both. Heard hondas were good, but heavy. dave g
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

When I went to buy my mantis, I aksed my dealer whether he prefers the mantis or the honda (sells both). He said definitly the mantis, they use better designed tines and are much more agressive. He has never steered me wrong in the past so I listened to him!
  7. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a Honda String trimmer for a year now and i love it, you will not find a more powerful trimmer then the Honda.
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We compared both the 2-c and 4-c mini-tillers last year in flower beds. The 2-c was about $150.00 les than the 4-c Honda. Bought the Honda.