Honda String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nasandsons, Aug 2, 2000.

1. nasandsons

nasandsons LawnSite Member

I am in the process of purchasing a new string trimmer and was curious if anyone has used the Honda 4 Cycle trimmer. I took a look at one last evening at the Honda Dealer and it seems to be constructed pretty well. I do admit that it is a little heavy, but I do like the fact that it is a 4 cycle compared to a 2. Does anyone have any info or comments regarding these trimmers compared to a Red Max, Echo, Stihl, or Shindawa.
  2. nasandsons

nasandsons LawnSite Member

What about the Red Max 4 Cycle?
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

nasandsons-There was a discussion about this already that you might not have seen. Anyway, the Stihl FS 85 I've heard is a flawless machine. I have run an older model FS 72 from Stihl and that thing kicked @ss. I personaly run Homelite right now, just my first year so I bought something cheap but it starts on the first or second pull (okay you can stop laughing now). It's got a 25cc engine and loads of power for a curved shaft. Of course if I would of had a little more money Stihl would have been my choice. <p>----------<br>Chelan Valley Mowing<br>- - - - Striping the way to success - - - -
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at the Honda last year and it was a little heavy for my tastes.
  5. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Demo'd one for a whole day from a guy that wanted to sell me his. At the end of the day I was using my Shindaiwa and knew why he wanted to sell me the Honda. Four words...<p>HEAVY<br>HEAVY<br>HEAVY<br>HEAVY<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

ok here it is. i have the honda 4 stroke and its not a bad unit, but it is about 2 lbs. more than my stihl but i have it as a spare and i dont know if this has ever happend to u; trimmer runs out of gas 2/3 through a lawn and ur out of mix its nice to have (if that makes any sense) but i like my fs85 better it has more power. i cant find any problems with it.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Echo 2601. It's the highest power to weight ratio of any trimmer on the market. I have a few of them.
  8. Kind of off topic, but the reason you are starting to see 4 cylce engines on some of the hand held machines is they are the only type that can pass the newer,tougher E.P.A emmission standards that are being phased in the next couple years. At least that's what's going on here in California.<br>John<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Homelite baby! Yeah, so they're not commercial machines but mine's got a 25cc engine. Power oozing everywhere. Never had any trouble with it. I'm not bashin' Stihl or anything but to get a Stihl trimmer with 25cc's, you gotta spend a few more bucks. 80) Just my 2 cents.<p>----------<br>Chelan Valley Mowing<br>- - - - Striping the way to success - - - -
  10. TurfMaster

TurfMaster LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Some of you guys need to get off of the 2-stroke trimmer is better theory. The four strokes are where your going to have to go in a year or two! Yeah, I readily admit that they're much heavier. However, the power is insurmountable in comparison to a 2-stroke.

I have used Stihl and Echo's top of the line trimmers and neither compare to the power that a Honda has. I have a Honda 431LT and am in the processes of buying another because of the efficiency at which it runs. Don't have to worry about extra cost for oil to mix your fuel, don't have to worry about having mixed fuel with you, don't have to mix the fuel at all. The tank on a Honda seems to last longer without filling up too. Just go to the gas station or use the gas tank on your trailer and fill it up!

The Honda trimmer is very, very quiet which is becoming another restriction here and there, noise ordinances. I have hardly had to run my Honda above half throttle when trimming thick grass or brush. I chopped a lady's plastic realtor sign in half last week when I hit the throttle hard trimming around it...Oooops!

I recommend if you get a chance, find your local honda dealer and see if they'll let you use one for a couple days, you won't go back to your old trimmer because of the convenience that the Honda has. Give it a try!