1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Honda Transmission issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mikegyver, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my HRC hondas will not drive forward at all. I have checked pretty much everything. Adjusted the cable per manual...made it worse. So I think its narrowed down to the transmission. Added some fluid to it....anything else I should try?
    Mike

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

It will not drive at all? Not even a little? In that case it could very well be one of the pins on the drive shaft has sheared. One is at the drive shaft and transmission, the other is inside the engine. I have seen more shear inside the engine than at the trans making the repair a nightmare. Now my first check would be fluid level. Is there a leak? If so it may be low. Use only Honda Hydrostat oil, nothing else. Find it at a Honda Mower dealer only. But repair the leak first of course, the oil is pricey.

Also do verify the cable is not seized, the end at the bail and trans is not broken. Also if you lift the rear end up by the handle, will it drive then? One wheel only or both?

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanted one of these mower's untill I googled it. It seem's they all have this preblem.

4. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked and its something with the way I re-mounted the tire ratchets...:dizzy: did not do it right. BUT Stihl Mechanic whats the proper level of the hydro fluid on the dipstick?
    Thanks
    MIke