Honda trimmer best for weekend warriors!!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yungman, Dec 9, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Hi
    I Just bought a Honda HHT31S bike handle 31cc 4 stroke trimmer. IT IS AMAZING!!!:jawdrop:

1) It is soooooo quiet. For those that live in denser area where noise is a problem. There is 4 cycle and there is 4 cycle. I have a brand new Shindaiwa C4 blower. I start it and put it side by side, you can't even hear the Honda. When you rev it up, the noise from the string head is as loud or even louder than the motor!!! I trim half the yard before I realized I forgot to wear ear protection!!!

2 This is a discontinued model, the new one is HHT35 with bigger engine. I bought this one because I don't like the timing belt of the new one even everybody told me that it is not a problem at all. What can I say, I am stubborn!!! I am lucky enough to find a new old model. The GX31 is a push rod engine. But this one comes only with bike handle, maybe that's the reason it is still sitting there. I was worry about this. I try the trimmer out this morning. It is so much easier to use than the convensional loop handle it is amazing!! I adjust the handle at position that the trimmer head side barely tip forward when holding the bike handle, I don't use the strap/ belt. I just tuck the motor to my right side. It is the carb. side and is not hot. It is so easy to control. This might not be important to pro that are very good in controlling the trimmer. For weekend warriors like me, I can never control the trimmer that well with the normal loop handle. The bike handle together with the motor tuck close to the body give me so much more control than my other one. For all you left-handers.....well.....you will have barbecue ribs!!!!::laugh:

It is heavy but with the bike handle, it really does not feel heavy at all because it is so much easier to hold than the normal loop handle. Your neighbor will love you for the quietness. I read a lot of posting on different lawn forum, nobody say anything bad about Honda trimmers other than they are heavy. This is really not an issue as stated above and we don't trim that long anyway. It is good for you, take it as weight lifting!!! with the bike handle, it is not even that!!

Have a nice day.

2. yungman

from Calif.

Today I use it the first time. IT IS UNBELIEVALBE!!! It is sooooooo much better than My Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmer. It is so different from the Troy Bilt. It did not fight with me. It was so easy to use I felt I was an expert. I use to think, a trimmer is a trimmer, what's the difference!!

To all you weekend warriors, take my word, don't go cheap, it is more critical if you use it ones a week because you won't be mastering it like the pros and it is more critical for the equipment not to fight you. My Troy Bilt was suppose to be an upgrade of the cheapy Craftsman and it was. But This is a trimmer. I don't think the Honda is much better than the other commercial trimmer, it is just better than the Troy Bilt.

Get the bike handle, it might look funny, it really works. Mine comes with shoulder harness, it really help also, I don't feel the weight even after 2 hours non stop trimming. The Honda is so quiet and powerful. On the steeper slope, I don't even use the mower and just use the trimmer.:laugh:

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering who bought this trimmer, I just heard they sold ONE...:laugh:

4. yungman

from Calif.

I am taking my word back about using the bike handle with the harness for extensive period of time. I did tried to use the trimmer without the harness again yesterday for extended period of time, after a while, it was still not comfortable. But using with harness was very good.

To Happy Frog. I remember you from other postings. There is other opinion on what trimmer to use. For professionals, I can understand the need of light weight. For home owner, weight is not important if only use 15 minutes every other week. Honda is very reliable from all the research I did I yet to see any bad remarks regarding to reliability. I even went on the RC modeling site to do research. They are the ones that are lot more knowledgable about engines than just doing repair or just do lawncare. They have nothing but good things to say about Honda engines. And I notice they are a lot nicer than people in this site. They don't try to be sarcastic if they don't agree with the opinion, they just share their opinion. Honda is not selling well in commercial use so I got good deal.

5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Very funny:laugh:

Thanks for the advice yungman but I will stick with my Stihl.

6. Happy Frog

Yungman,
    My understanding is that you bought a 4 strokes to avoid having to deal with the gas/oil mix.
    I do not criticize your choice, it's just that there are not many of these trimmers sold either for residential or commercial use so I couln't resist the tease :drinkup:
    Regarding the oil: what brand and type of oil are you going to use? How often are you going to replace it? How about the fact that having a separate oil system and no filter, contaminants are in the oil till you replace it while in a two strokes system they are "rinsed" and gone through the exhaust port in no time?
    I believe you made a choice based on the assumption that four strokes are better and more reliable than 2 strokes engines. Although debatable, this is just not true for small engines (less than 50cc).
    The fact is that instead of having to make a choice on oil brand and ratio, you have now to make a choice of oil type and brand and oil change interval.
    I hope you enjoy your trimmer (and the oil changes) for the years to come... :laugh:

7. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Happy Frog
    I change oil very often, learn from cars. I change oil on cars every 3000miles and 2 of my cars( I still own one) over 200K from new. Oh yes, I change oil very often, I change my new mower and tiller after 5 hours on one and 7 hours on the other. I am planning to change every 10 hours or so. I am a home owner, that is about 3 months period of time.
    I use Mobil 1 10-30. If you have any suggestion, let me know.

I am not saying 2 cycle is not as reliable, I just don't feel comfortable.( old and stubborn!! may be even stupid) I might need some time to accept the idea of 50:1 ratio!!!
    I forgot to mension. I ran one tankful of 20oz mix of Mobil Racing 2T at about 35:1. I remove the muffler and I see black carbon deposit. I just opened it after running 3 tankful Echo Power Blend and I remember I can see metal inside the muffler, the plug liked very nice, now it is all covered. The plugs looks dark and a little wet. Looking at inside the opening of the exhaust port and it looked black. It was better after the Echo. NOT GOOD AT ALL. This is a far as I would put my engine through with the Mobil 2T. And this is my conclusion of my test.

Any suggestion on how to clean the carbon. Marvel mystery oil? Help!!!

Thanks

8. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Your post is a bit painful to read. Could you please edit it so we can better understand what it is you are getting at. My take on it is that you ran a mix (in some piece of 2 cycle equipment??) using a racing mix at 35:1 and noticed black carbon build up on the exhaust port?? Then you ran an Echo mix (assumed 50:1 as recommende) and noticed a decrease in the build up.

One question: Why in the world are you running it 35:1? I think this is your problem.
    Second question: Wouldn't there be less carbon build up if you run the recommended 50:1? Also, wouldn't the build up be less if you ran full throttle more frequently?
    Third question: Did you take the motor apart to see the total carbon build up? I don't know that you would get the whole story (certainly not enough to prove anything) just by taking the plug out. Am I missing something here??

Bottom line: The manufacturers have been at this a lot more then you, you should probably take there advice and run it 50:1 don't you think?

9. Happy Frog

Ya think? :hammerhead:
    DavidR: 2 strokes engine oil ratio case is closed: Yungman bought himself a 4 strokes with independent oil system.
    Yungman: I would have bet you changed the oil more often :drinkup:
    With the kind of hours you put on the trimmer, the plastic parts will dry and crack before the engine dies, that's for sure :laugh:

10. Happy Frog

Yungman,
    Regarding the carbon deposit and such, here are some info in no particular order:
    On two strokes engines, carbon deposit is normal and excess build up should be removed periodically (scrapping it is OK).
    It is normal to find metal particles in the exhaust after the first few hours (engine breaking in).
    According to lab tests, the best oil is Amsoil, period...
    Amsoil at 80:1 will protect an engine better than any other oil at 50:1 or even 34:1
    I would not recommend any competition oil in any engine. These oil blends are made to run engines harder (ie, higher temperature and tighter engine tolerances). They are not made to extend the life of the engine.
    A good synthetic oil is better than any mineral oil and is more resistant to degradation over time.
    There is no need to replace the oil every 10 hours after the initial oil change.
    Every 25 hours is perfectly fine (50 hours if you have a spin on oil filter).
    If you don't believe it, send a sample of oil for analysis after 10 and 25 hours and compare the results).
    Here are my 2 cents...