Honda Trimmer Vs. Stihl Fs110

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was looking into buying another trimmer for the business.. I have heard alot of great things about the Honda trimmers. Other than being a bit heavy, they look like the best out there. At leas thats what i think... and heard.. The 4 cycle runs cleaner with little or no smoke.. I think they also use less gas than the stihl 4 mix. The new honda HHT models are suppose to be better than ever.. their msrp is about 380.00 I like all my engines to be honda, if not honda then kawi. What do you all think?

2. Petr51488

from NJ

Common guys... no one has either of these?

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Stihl FS 110, it has been great. It has a lot more torque than the Stihl FS85's and is also quieter. Have no experience with the Honda's but, we would not want a true four-cycle trimmer. The 4-cycles have too many moving parts, oil has to be changed and they are heavy.

4. Petr51488

from NJ

Wouln't the 4-mix use more gas?

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4-mix would probably use a little more fuel than the 4-cycle. The 4-mix is a 4-stoke 2-cycle so it burn the fuel longer than the 2-cycle which means it burns less fuel.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The Stihl 4-mix tools are very powerful. You have to use one to see how powerful they are. I've never used any Honda trimmers/edgers, but it's hard to believe there is anything out there that comes close to the Stihl tools. They do burn a little more fuel than the 2 strokes, but it's not that much and it's worth the extra fuel usage as far as I'm concerned. I'm gradually replacing all my 2 stroke handhelds with the 4-mix stuff.

7. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I had 3 4-mix stihls and was not crazy about them. They had great fuel economy, quiet as ever, and had a lot of torque. My guys did not like them though because they said the machines were not balanced. I also agreed and ebayed them all and went back to Shindaiwa t260s and t261s. The stick edger in the 4-mix was much better than any 2stroke I have seen, but I sold it also. My dealer says good things about Hondas, but I have never once seen a trimmer on any one truck here in DFW. The 2 strokes seem real hard to beat to me, and you dont have to go away from them. i dread the day I have to take all my 4stroke trimmers in to get the valves re adjusted, and it is coming to that.

8. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

By the way, I am dead solid positive that the 4 mix used less fuel than my Shindaiwas that we run. May be that Shindaiwa burns lots of fuel, but either way, the Stihl 110 burned less.

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

The main dealer around here has both, but has not been able to sell anyone around here on the Honda's. It looks like a great machine, but I will stick with the Stihl, as that's what everything is for me. If the dealer, who sells both, and is a Main Honda dealer, steers me to wards Stihl, then there must be a reason. Honda has sold many mowers to LCO's around here in the last few years.

10. Petr51488

from NJ

Another thing i am worried about is the vibration.. Don't older (2-3 years) 2 cycle engines tend to vibrate more than the 4 cycles? Do the new stihl 4-mix smoke as much as the normal 2 cycle's do? That is one reason why i am concidering getting the 4 cycle honda.. no smoke, no vibration.. Might be a little heavy.. but im sure i can deal with it..