honda using oil

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by SMBUDDY46, Jan 27, 2006.

1. SMBUDDY46

SMBUDDY46 LawnSite Member

i purchased a super mini z back in spring of 2004 and i am really happy with it. it is 52 in. cut with a 20 hp honda engine. this past season i have noticed htat it has been useing oil. i check it before i use it periodically and i always have to add some. i only have about 180 hrs. on it so it doesn't get an extreme amount of use. i use the opti oil which is pretty pricey so i wandering if this is a problem with these motors ,have you had anyone else mention this. i hate to keep topping off my oil. the opti is about 36 dollars for a 6 pack of 20oz. bottles. it's not just that it is the fact that this motor is fairly new and i don't think it should be doing this. thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is not something I hear of much on Honda engines.
    Have you told your dealer about this?
    Now is the time to get it in for a good inspection.

Pj

3. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I agree,, talk to your dealer. No-way it should be burning oil.. maybe theres a small seal leak (????)

4. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

Maybe the high dollar Super Slickum has short-circuited the break-in process. Have you used this oil from the very beginning?

I've read Opti's eutectic propaganda and haven't seen any warnings regarding its use during break-in, so perhaps you just got some bum rings (I've also seen a Honda bore that was never honed). In any event, it's an engine manufacturer's problem. You've got a two-year warranty, and I'd let Honda fix it. Make it easy on yourself by not mentioning the Opti oil--that might be seen as a red flag by some dealers and lead to some general hand-wringing and foot-dragging. Keep it simple and just tell them it uses oil!

I also notice Opti doubles your warranty if you use their oil. If 24 months has come and gone, tell Opti to fix it.

5. SMBUDDY46

SMBUDDY46 LawnSite Member

yes opti is suppose to give a 4 year warranty. that was the reason i decided to use it in the firtst place