Honda Versamow System?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SW Landscape Maintenance, Feb 24, 2007.

1. SW Landscape Maintenance

SW Landscape Maintenance LawnSite Member

Honda have a walk behind lawn mower that you can simultaneously distribute grass clippings to both bag and the ground. I like the option of having the bagger so I can collect leaves in the fall etc.

Does anybody have this lawn mower and how well does it work? :confused:
    Can it mulch long grass?
    What about wet grass?
    Like 7 days growth in the spring time can mean lon grass. Do not want to cut grass twice for the simple reason it was not priced that way.

I have a few properties that are a good size and I can't use my rider ( Walker). To save time I would rather mulch than have to walk :walking: back to my trailer to dump the grass. I've always had Honda for walk behinds and love how easy they are to start.:canadaflag:

2. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

We use a couple of the HRX Honda's with the green knob that lets you switch from mulching to bagging (or anywhere in between). We like them mainly because they mulch awesome... then you can reach down, move the knob to bag mode and vac up the debris on the sidewalks from edging and trimming... leaves nothing left to blow. We have the models with the hydro and the blade brake clutch.
    As for mulching wet grass... the xenoy deck keeps grass from sticking better than metal decks but it's still tough to mulch wet grass no matter what.
    I do wish they'd offer the versamow system on the HRC series since it has the way tougher commercial engine.
    BTW, you can also leave the chute door barely open (like a couple of notches) and it will really shred up leaves big time as they are bagged.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know much about the versa mow but where abouts in Ontario are you?

Cheers
    Jeff

4. SW Landscape Maintenance

SW Landscape Maintenance LawnSite Member

Hey Jeff, live in Petrolia but all my work is in Sarnia which is about 18 min away.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Honda with Versamow. It's a cool feature. I don't carry my 21" on my trailer anymore, but back when I did it was nice to bag like 10% of the thick grass and mulch the rest. It did ok, but nothing like a commercial mower will. It just doesn't have the blade tip speed or horsepower. In wet grass the lever can get plugged and is sort of a pain. Overall I would say get a truely commercial 21" mower, I think you will be better off.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have one of these and like it. I know it is not a commercial grade but they last us about 4 years. I just priced two more for this coming season. I think I'm going with the 3 speed instead of the hydro. I have run toro commercials in the past, but for the price I would rather buy 2 than 1.