Honda vs Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wolfman, Jul 12, 2004.

1. wolfman

wolfman LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide on whether to go with the 25 Kawasaki or the 24 Honda on a HUSTLER SUPER MINI?

I HAVE got some really great info - that both are great engines, but the Kawasaki has been around longer and has more torque.

1.)Is the Kawasaki's torque (on paper) really more noticeable?

2.) anyone really done a side by side test cutting the same grass?

3.) How many hours are people getting on the 24HP Honda?

4.) What about fuel economy between the 2 as well? How many hours are people getting on the 24 hp honda?

Thanks for the Help!,
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I bet the Honda is better on fuel. Our Kawasaki sucks it down.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Wolfman, Our church has basically the same machine ( Landpride, Which is a relabeled Hustler) with the 24 Honda. It does do excellent on fuel, and has enough power for heavy growth.. I don't know why Honda doesn't't have more of the market in Commercial mowers, But I can tell you from my personnel experience with them in the rental biz, They are excellent engines, very hard to kill. I imagine if you actually maintained one well ( most rental companies Don't ) You'd get as many if not more hr's out of one. I hope it helps your decision...
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'd get the kawi. I'm not a fan of the larger honda motors.
  5. Above & Beyond Landscape

Above & Beyond Landscape LawnSite Member

i have a kawasaki and it cuts thru anything, has never died on me once, On the other hand i have a honda also that was the first one i purchased. In long growth the Honda will get about half way and die compared the the kawasaki that just keeps on pushing
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t have a Honda but I would bet it burns less fuel than the Kawasaki. I have a 25 Kawasaki on my walk-behind and it burns from 1.25-1.5 gallons per hour.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Larger Hondas can't compare to the Big Twin Kaw's !
  8. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

go with the kaw
  9. wayupnorth

wayupnorth LawnSite Member

I am not shure if the motor is the same but I have a 5518 Honda Utility tractor with 13 years on it and have never had to touch the engine except oil changes and a new radiator last year. Factory rep told me that motor was rated at 18hp. but was closer to 24 horse, he says Honda used to underate their engines for some reason.