Honda vs. Stihl Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJL1929, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MJL1929

MJL1929 LawnSite Member

Anybody use a Honda trimmer? They seem to have great features and if they are built like a typical Honda, they should be great. I've used Stihl's so far and really like them. Any suggestions or comments?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tried the Honda a few years back, but bought the Stihl instead.

The Honda is a nice trimmer, but even heavier than the Stihls.
    The part I didn't like about it was the vibration though.
    Stihl is much smoother.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

way too heavy!

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Honda trimmers weigh alot more. If you have a few hours of trimming to do you will start to hate yourself for getting that heavy of a trimmer. Other than that I cant imagine that they could possibly have the same torque as the stihl 4-mixes.

5. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I really like Honda's in general. I have the HHT31. Powerful, well built and great with a blade. As lanwboy dan say's "way too heavy". I have many others which are much better for trimming. Now, if you just don't like two strokes and don't have much too much to trim, then no problem. But, if you trim quite a bit, I feel there are better choices.

Yet, the Honda will last a long time and mine is really quiet. Just depends what you desire in a piece of equipment.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl all the way!

7. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa all the way on trimmers. Can't stand the clanging of Stihls, although my backup is a Stihl 85. The Shin's run a little more quiet.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Stihl 4-mix

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the Stihls can clang like crazy, I'll give you that.

Shindaiwa stuff is good also... I used to use it.

10. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

purchased my 85 stihl from pawn shop. i took him outside and started up.I asked the guy "how much of a discount for this clanging weedeater"? he wanted 150.00. he said how about 100. i said ok. like new it was