Honda Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MeadowsLawnCare, May 12, 2007.

1. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a 36" commercial mower. I saw in the paper today a Honda 36" walk behind. It was hydro, came with extra blades bagger ect. I don't have the exact model # but I belive the engine was a 13hp. It has 1577 hours on it and the guys bottom dollar is $1500. The mower appears to be well maintained and in good working order but what concerns me is the age of the mower and the hours. Is 1500+ hours a lot? And is that a reasonable price? Any info would be useful.

Thanks,
    Andy meadows

2. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

From what I have heard the Honda WB's are verry nice machines.

3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

yes i do believe the hondas where good machines, but thats alot of hours for a machine that they dont even make anymore, are parts easy(and fairly cheap) to get? if it really is in real good condition then it might not be to bad of a deal being its a hydro and all. let us know what you decide. can you test it and see it in person?

4. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I already looked at it breifly, i was in a rush. I did get a chance to test it out and it worked very well. I just know that its probably at least 5 years old and has 1500 hours on it which means its probably gonna start breaking down and needing repairs. I cant really afford the downtime. I was just curious what you guys thought of hondas and the 1500 hours. I can purchase a skag 36" hydro for $2000 which is a far superior machine imo. I'm just trying to see if its worth the extra 500

Thanks,
    Andy meadows

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Those mowers had a world of troubles when they were brand new,...let alone when they have 1500 hours on them. Look at how many of them (these larger wb's) are built and sold now... There's a reason for it.

6. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

well my neighbor mows probably 60 hours a week solo and his only mower is the 36 honda hydro. it has to have well over 2000 hours on it. the only problem he had last year was one of the spindles got bent. it must be decent though although i would get it because they arent made anymore so parts will start to become scarce. get the scag

7. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

I would never buy it for that price. For just over $2,000 you could have a brand new quick 36! Just asking too much for a machine with 1500+hrs.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Since they dont make the machine any longer prices for parts will go up quite a bit! I checked on a mulch kit for one awhile back and they didnt even offer it anymore. I would spend the extra and go for the Scag.

9. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

I know someone who bought a 52" Honda
    for like $800 with less hours than that. Offer the guy $500.