Honda Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnMaster5000, Jul 28, 2000.

1. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked for several companies in the past all of which used the Honda walk behinds. The 13hp engine is the worst i have ever seen. After about 100 hours there is a 50/50 chance that the berrings will fail. I was just kinda wondering what type of equipment people prefer and what the pros/cons of each are. I just purchased a 52&quot; 20hp that i am happy with. But kinda pretty damn slow (5mph)<br>
  2. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new SCAG 52&quot; Hydro with 17hp Kawasaki in<br>April. So far I'm very happy with it and it has performed great. It's the newest model - Ultimate SWZU. It's easy to change cutting height (just pull 4 pins and raise or lower the deck). One thing I'll say about that is the deck is quite heavy, but I'd prefer that over a cheaper deck. Only problem is that this week I had to replace a belt that got chewed. The warranty was only for 90 days - I had it 120. Belts aren't too expensive, tho. I had been using a 15 year old Toro, which was ok, but getting old and I really wanted to switch to a hydro.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

lawnmaster--we have a honda dealer in my town. the mowers look pretty good to me, everything considered.<p>however, you never see any of these things on the used market and the dealer is now pushing great danes.<p>can you give us more details on your experience with the hondas? thanks.<p>GEO
  4. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

The Honda walk behinds are made by Textron/Bunton to Honda specs,so the only thing that Honda has to do with them is the engine. As far as the bearings, what type of maintainence was performed? I wouldn't say that Mayo's is pushing Great-Danes,but there is more inventory compared to the Hondas.
  5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

yesterday when i started this discussion i was a little upset because a friend had just blown his 3rd engine. Really i love the honda. It is a very nice machine and is super easy to change height. 1 bar and lift w/ included cheat bar. The only problem that i have really ever had was w/ the 13hp engine. About 3or 4 years ago they redesigned the engine and have had problems w/ it since. The problem is supposed to be fixed now. (we'll see) I would also like to say that honda is very good in covering all equipment on waranty. Maybe it is just my dealer but i have never seen anyone turned down on warranty repairs as long as it is reasonable, even after warranty expires.