1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

honda whippers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by easycareacres, Nov 10, 2003.

1. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

g'day room new here as anyone had Honda brush cutters and is 4 stroke way to go got 3 off them but many clutch prober's. cheers from down under.

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

I have a honda 4 stroke trimmer. I hate it,, too heavy , Its for sale want to buy it...
    Other than the weight they have good tourque..
    No mixing gas is nice.
  3. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

This is the first time that I have heard anyone having any mechanical problems with them.
    I have only had my Honda trimmer and stick edger for about 2 months now and so far no clutch problems.

Yes, as others have said they are a bit heavier and they have a lot of torque.

I also like not having to run premix.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my Honda 4-stroke new this last spring. I have used it to cut down thick weeds about 3'-4' tall, I've used it to edge, I've used it to clear dead brush & weeds, I have even used it to trim! I have not had one problem with it...I love it. It is a little heavy, but because of that you get one powerful machine.

4 srtoke is very nice, you don't have to worry about mixing gas, and it is MUCH better for the environment. Like I said I have had no problems with it at all, not with the clutch, not with anything.
  5. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

ALWAYS good to provide model numbers in any posts about equipment.

Which Honda trimmers are you guys talking about?

I tried a UMK series trimmer last year and took it back. It was heavy and underpowered. Also did not like the head.

Honda has replaced the UMK series with the HHT series. Some dealers are still selling the UMKs. The HHT series trimmers are WAY improved. More power, less weight, the best heads. Also very clean and very quiet. The UMKs were designed a few years back and they stuck with them for a while. The HHTs are state-of-the-art.

I have been using the Honda HHT25S for several months and it is the best trimmer I have ever used. There is a more powerful model for those that need it, but the 25 is quite powerful.

Someday all trimmers will be 4-cycle.
  6. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

On the subject of Honda trimmers..............my dealer here has some 2 cycle trimmers on sale for a good price. Has anyone used them? They seem to be about the same weight and feel as a Shindaiwa 230.

I agree, the 4 cycle machines felt heavier, by comparison.

7. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have the HHT31SLTA trimmer, it weighs in at 14.7 lbs.
  8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

thankyou for your replies, I run 3 honda gx 25's very light I found to other brands, think my prob is a certain employee isnt running enough revs for clutch to fully open.