Honda's 21'' HRX217HXA Mower Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hows it going? My John Deere 14sb is slowly dying.. lol its been with me from the very beginning. I am looking into getting a Honda HRX217HXA. I will generally be putting about 10-12 a week on this mower. It will be used for 90% Bagging. (im sure i can put it on 2 notches so it still puts down some grass) Anyways.. Do you think this mower will hold up? If im going to be spending 700.00 on a 21'' it better last me more than 2 seasons. I will change the oil and spark plug 3 times per season. The blade clutch is a must. (which it comes with) With a 6.5 HP engine, i think it should do just fine. The hydrostatic trans should be nice too. I think they have this model at the Home Depot. I can allways buy it there and be assured that if it breaks within 2 years that i would get my money back. So what do you think?

2. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

best and worst mower ive ever had no lie the thing mulches like a champ and flies but its big heavy but not heavy duty my drive cable broke 5 times in a year and they are a pain in the ass to fix. also my magneto went twice 75 a pop. dont buy it, not at all dependable. since then i bought the 2 cycle toro commericial and i love it i just wish i did not spend so much on that honda i hope i can get 400 for it ive got over 1100 in to it now.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

mine works perfectly. Had it almost a year, it went about 20 hours a week for about 16 weeks last season, it currently gets about 5 hours a week.
    roughly 420 hours and no problems. Never changed the plug, air filter, or fuel filter. I've changed the oil 2 times.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The Hrx is not a comm. mower and shouldnt not be compared to comm. machines.

Strinblade ~ You need a different dealer to buy your parts from!! That magneto doesnt list for anything near $75! I wouldnt sell it for Honda's list price either, but damn! you got ripped! Ill let you know what Hondas MSRP is for it. Ready? $15.39

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If you are already planning on spending $700, why not just go all the way and get a commercial 21" for something that will really last a long time?

6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I looked at these a few months ago at the Honda dealer and compared this to the "commercial" model. I don't have the catalog in front of me but basically the only difference between them is the wheels and stronger mounts for the handle. Oh and $500+! The dealer pointed this out to me. Just because it is available at HD doesn't mean it isn't a excellent mower. It just so happens it is about $50 cheaper there than at the dealer for the exact same model. I give my 21" to my mother in law last month so as soon as I have a use again for a 21" I will go get one too.

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Think you better go get your brochure and take another look! EVERYTHING is different from the HRX to the comm. HRC!

8. Petr51488

from NJ

So what commercial Model from honda would you recommend?

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

As far as I know, Honda makes only 1 self-propelled commercial mower - HRC216HXA. I know others who have been very happy with them.

Myself, I use the Toro Commercial 21" with the 6.5 Kaw engine. I have been pleased with it. They have serviced over 1000 properties this year and the only problem was a broken cable on one machine.

10. Petr51488

from NJ

The one thing I like about Honda's are their engines.. They can't be beat in my opinion. What do you think about the john deere jx75? It has just about the same features as honda does. The only difference are the engines.. One is a kawi and the other is obviously a honda. What do you think?