Hondas in ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gcbailey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've never really thought about it, but why is it that you don't see Honda engines in anything much besides push mowers and smaller equipment. I know they don't make any "large" HP engines, but even on residential ZTRs, you just don't see them.

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You answered your own question. They don't make big enough engines. I guess you could put them in small ztrs but would probably be underpowered for the hydro system

3. gcbailey

from WV

Like I said, even in the residential ones like you'd find at Lowe's/HD... Those would surely be as powerful and good as a Kohler Courage or Brakes & Scatters.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

MIL has a 23hp (IIRC) Honda engine in her older Hustler Z, 60" cut. I've used it a couple times and it certainly has no lack of power.

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

did I provoke this question :) Honda's largest engine is 22.1 hp and 35.6 ft lbs

6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Two issues - Power and Price

They don't have enough power to be used on large commercial machines where the price can be justified and they cost too much to be used on smaller "price-point" residential machines.

They build one heck of an engine but until they significantly bump up the displacement of the GX/GXV (currently 688cc/22hp) and introduce a large displacement GCV series for the residential machines, you're not going to see them on Z's

Q

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

one word, turbo :clapping:

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Honda got out of commercial hydro WBs back in the 90s.

9. gcbailey

from WV

Well you looking at leaf loaders helped spark it. I mean, you see Honda engines on EVERYTHING under the sun, except... commercial grade ZTRs.

Even based on the price point, I can't help but wonder why Honda hasn't waded into these waters. I mean honestly, how many people in the "regular" world realize how much of a presence Kawasaki has in this market?

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

Must be a reason. I know Honda is very selective and cautious about their market lines
    Posted via Mobile Device