1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hondas in ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gcbailey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Back in about 2005 I was looking at buying a 48" Cub Cadet Tank. It was available with a Kawasaki or a Honda and I don't remember the horsepower. They had both, but the sales guy was recommending the Kawasaki. I ended up buying a Bad Boy with a Kawasaki.

It would have been interesting to see how the Honda worked out.

Larry

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I remember Honda had an articulating type "all purpose" mower/tractor out a while back. It was pretty wild, had 4wd, cat 1 hitch, I think you could get gas or diesel.... I'm just curious today I suppose.... haha

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There are a few of them for sale on CL here in MI, and they've been for sale for a couple years off and on. One is located not too far from us and that one has been for sale for about 4-5 years now. I guess he thinks the Honda name is gonna bring him in his asking price.

4. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

I have always asked the same question the OP has stated. Honda makes one of the best engines out there, you can run them forever and they never quit kickin'. If Honda was to start making 25, 27 and even 30+ HP engines, it would put Kawasaki and Kohler both on their toes. Does anyone remember those old Honda lawn tractors like the HT3813? It was a lawn tractor with a engine like a car(not exactly but similar), a 2 cylinder horizontal shaft liquid cooled engine. If Honda could engineer and design higher HP engines in a similar fashion like they did those old lawn tractor engines, they would do well in the ZTR market IMO. Can you imagine how many hours you could get out of a engine like that. They would be a big hit. Especially for Grasshopper, Walker, and any other ZTR that uses a horizontal engine.

Heres a Youtube video of the engine I speak of.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqfidPPUhI

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

It would compete with the Kubota gas engines.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Scag ran the 24 hp Honda on some of their older models a few years back. Everybody that I knew said that was the best engine they offered.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

They already tried the second one. It was a GCV520/530 and then turned into the GXV520/530....and the residential people didnt use it for some reason...

8. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

They should make a 1250cc EFI for a ZTR and it would sell good for 60 to 72 inch cuts. A 40 to 45 HP for a 72.

9. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler offered Honda engines on their Fastrak high end residential mowers of just a few years back and I think they were pretty well received. I could be wrong but I think Southern Indiana Equip has some Fastrac's w/Hondas on their showroom floor. There's a really clean 48" 20hp Fastrak with 450 hours for sale not too far away from me now. Ask is $2650.

10. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Honda definitely makes a great line of engines. Maybe one day they'll get into selling commercial ztr engines.