Hondas in ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gcbailey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

IIRC, mtnmower (member here on LS) had a Hustler SZ with a 24 hp Honda engine in it. I think he said it was a little underpowered, but don't recall that for sure.

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

scag, hustler, and a few others used the 24honda. It was ok - not rebuildable to my knowledge and the sump would run dry at steep angles. Not too long ago you could get a 72 inch super z with a 24 hp honda...

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You see quite a few in other equipment. Power washers ,mortar mixers, sprayers,generators, paint sprayers. They do seem to lend themselves better to horizontal mounting. Go karters like them. Northern Tools their own brand is which are dead ringers for them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Ya, that's what I was saying, you see them in everything else with an engine.

5. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is your paying for the name of the motor so a Honda vs a Kawasaki the Honda is going to be more and when your already having to spend 10k on a mower. I'm not going to pay more just so I have a Honda when the Kawasaki we have run for the last 5 years have never given us any problems
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I think it's down to 2 things:

- Portfolio: lots of manufacturers make an engine here and there (Honda, Robin/Subaru, Briggs Vanguard, Generac) but few have a complete turf portfolio like Kohler and Kawasaki. If you're a company like Exmark or Scag you may need a 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 hp engine be it vertical or horizontal, air or liquid cooled, carbureted or EFI. Why bother with 6 different brands if 2 suppliers can give you all the engines you need?

- Price: Kawasaki has good list pricing and probably gives decent discounts to OEMs. Scag or Exmark can offer better prices and earn more with parts (Kawasakis seems to break more often than Hondas) later on so why not?